Holiday Notice:
The Frontline Support team will be offline February 18 for President's Day but will be back February 19th. Thank you for your patience as we get to all of your questions!

How to select variants which are occur in multiple samples

airtimeairtime Member
edited August 2014 in Ask the GATK team

Hi,

I want to select variants which are occur in more than one sample in a *.vcf file. So I try many different commands of the SelectVariants walker.
For one specific sample I get all variants with this command:

java -Xmx30G -jar GenomeAnalysisTK-3.2-2/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T SelectVariants -R gatk_karyotypic_hg19.fasta --variant snp.raw.vcf -o selected_raw.vcf -select '(vc.getGenotype("s_1")!= null && !vc.getGenotype("s_1").isHomRef())'

But if I extend the command by logical expressions like this:

java -Xmx30G -jar GenomeAnalysisTK-3.2-2/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T SelectVariants -R gatk_karyotypic_hg19.fasta --variant snp.raw.vcf -o selected_raw.vcf -select '(vc.getGenotype("s_1")!= null && !vc.getGenotype("s_1").isHomRef()) && (vc.getGenotype("s_2")!= null && !vc.getGenotype("s_2").isHomRef())'

I get the following error:

Invalid JEXL expression detected for select-0 with message jexl.null

I try to find the JEXL-error in my expression extension, but for me it looks logical.

So is there an error which I couldn't see?

Or is there an better way to find variants which occur in more than one sample.

Thanks,
Air

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@airtime‌

Hi Air,

Sorry for the late response.

This may be a syntax error. You can try removing the parentheses that separate the two sample statements like this:

-select '(vc.getGenotype("s_1") != null && !vc.getGenotype("s_1").isHomRef() && vc.getGenotype("s_2") != null && !vc.getGenotype("s_2").isHomRef())'

I hope this works!

-Sheila

• airtimeairtime Member

Hi Sheila,
    thank you for response, but till now I prepare a python script to manage this.
    In the next time I would try it out and give feedback if it works.

Best Air