Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Request for more information on Mutect parameters

I am looking for more information on the description / use of these muTect parameters:

a) Related to a family pedigree:
-pedigree Pedigree files for samples
-pedString, Pedigree string for samples
-pedValidationType How strict should we be in validating the pedigree information?

If the goal is to find somatic mutations in tumor-normal pairs from a trio (Father, Mother, affected child), how is the pedigree information factored in , in the somatic calls ?

b) I understand that there is no parameter to factor in the tumor purity, as the variant calling algorithm models the allele frequencies from the data. However, I am wondering if this parameter can be used indirectly to specify the tumor purity. For eg, if the tumor is 85% pure, can this parameter be set to 0.85 ?

• minimum_mutation_cell_fraction
    minimum fraction of cells which are presumed to have a mutation, used to handle non-clonality and contamination

Thanks
Parthav

Best Answer

Answers

• ParthavJailwalaParthavJailwala MarylandMember

Thanks Geraldine!

• vivekdas_1987vivekdas_1987 MilanMember

I would like to ask in this thread is there anyway to use some kind of paramters that can speicify if my tumor is 70% pure which means 30% have normal cell contamination in my tumor sample. I was expecting the fraction_contamination paramter or minimum_mutation_cell_fraction. I would like to know if any new parameter is introduced or not?

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Not in the current version, no. The fraction_contamination parameter refers to contamination between samples. The mutation cell fraction (or purity) cannot currently be specified or taken into account in a really effective way. Future developments may address this.