To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Badly formed genome loc ERROR

yotsusyotsus kyoto JAPANMember

Dear GATK help team,

I have a cut chromosome file (cur 17) in which I have processed through sorting, alignment, adding headers, and even through the realignertargetcreator. Yet, when I would like to call my indels from the Indel realigned. I have received an error.
ERROR MESSAGE: Badly formed genome loc: Parameters to GenomeLocParser are incorrect:The contig index 0 is bad, doesn't equal the contig index 17 of the contig from a string chr17

I have cut these chromosomes and processed the chr17 first since that is my region of interest, and did it since I thought it might save memory issues.

I am currently a newbie, have check the forum for help, yet only found one similar post with no solution.
Please help-- stuck at this stage. My code for the index realigned is the following:
java -jar /Users/yotsukurasohiya/build/softwares/GenomeAnalysisTK-3.2-2/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T IndelRealigner -R /Volumes/Pegasus/broadref/ucsc.hg19.fasta -I /Volumes/Pegasus/tmp/mardup.pregatk.bam -targetIntervals 2_target_intervals.list -known /Volumes/Pegasus/broadref/Mills_and_1000G_gold_standard.indels.hg19.vcf -known /Volumes/Pegasus/broadref/dbsnp_138.hg19.vcf -known /Volumes/Pegasus/broadref/1000G_phase1.snps.high_confidence.hg19.vcf -o 2_realigned_reads.bam

The heads that I have added are through picard softwares addorreplacereadgroups.
SO=coordinate CREATE_INDEX=true SM=temp PL=Illumina PU=barcode LB=bar ID=id

Best Answer

Answers

• yotsusyotsus kyoto JAPANMember

Thank you very much for your help! I have checked the FAQs for the -L augment. I have seen that is good for WES, which is my case. But I still cannot find an example of how to construct the argument? Can you please help me on that. I would like to specify particularly the 13th and 17th chromosome.

Also, I saw in your previous thread that TCGA is the b37 build assembly, which I appreciate you bringing that up since I was aligning it with bwa with the hg19 build which may cause erroneous results.

Thank you for your help in advance!

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@yotsus‌

Hi,

If you want to specify the 13th and 17th chromosome, you can use:

-L 13 -L 17

You can also look here for an example:
    http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk/gatkdocs/org_broadinstitute_gatk_engine_CommandLineGATK.html#--intervals

-Sheila

P.S. I will add a note to the FAQ article clarifying this.