Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

BQSR on 24-multiplexed human exomes: how much data is needed for an accurate BQSR model estimation?

palmeirapalmeira ✭✭LiegeMember ✭✭

Dear Geraldine and GATK experts,

I have attended the great Brussels workshop, and I am posting here the BQSR question I had.

I have a human exome experiment with 24-multiplexed samples per lane (Nextera libraries) where we first only did one lane of sequencing (~15x) and then added a second lane (summing up to ~30x). From what I understood reading the Best Practices, I probably don't have enough data to run a BQSR on each sample. How should I then do the BQSR step? Should I skip it altogether? Could I estimate the model parameters on one whole lane (all the samples) and then apply it separately to each sample?

And as a separate question: If I could turn back the clock, would it have been better to do 12-multiplexed samples per lane and run these two lanes of sequencing (24 samples in total) for the same amount of reads but giving me more data to do a BQSR step per sample?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best Answers

Answers

• palmeirapalmeira ✭✭ LiegeMember ✭✭
    edited June 2014

If I merge all the samples BAMs of one lane for the BQSR step, would I have to change the RG to have all samples in a given lane have the same RG? or is BQSR lane-aware and it will fetch the correct lane information?

• SheilaSheila admin Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@palmeira‌

No, you do not have to change the rgid. BQSR will take care of everything.

-Sheila

• palmeirapalmeira ✭✭ LiegeMember ✭✭

@Sheila‌
    Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks a lot!