Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

ERROR MESSAGE: Your input file has a malformed header

ywy25ywy25 Member
edited June 2014 in Ask the GATK team

Dear GATK team,

I have got an error message while using RealignTargetCreator -- ERROR MESSAGE: Your input file has a malformed header: there are not enough columns present in the header line: #CHROM POS ID REF ALT QUAL FILTER INFO FORMAT SAMPLE
However, after checked the standard VCF format, I found it seems that there is no problem with my VCF file.

The VCF file is generated by Dindel. That would be great if you could told me why I got this error message.
Many thanks!

Here is the header and sample line:

##fileformat=VCFv4.0
##source=Dindel
##reference=ref.fa
##INFO=<ID=DP,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Total number of reads in haplotype window">
##INFO=<ID=HP,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Reference homopolymer tract length">
##INFO=<ID=NF,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Number of reads covering non-ref variant on forward strand">
##INFO=<ID=NR,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Number of reads covering non-ref variant on reverse strand">
##INFO=<ID=NFS,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Number of reads covering non-ref variant site on forward strand">
##INFO=<ID=NRS,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Number of reads covering non-ref variant site on reverse strand">
##FORMAT=<ID=GT,Number=1,Type=String,Description="Genotype">
##FORMAT=<ID=GQ,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Genotype quality">
##ALT=<ID=DEL,Description="Deletion">
##FILTER=<ID=q20,Description="Quality below 20">
##FILTER=<ID=hp10,Description="Reference homopolymer length was longer than 10">
##FILTER=<ID=fr0,Description="Non-ref allele is not covered by at least one read on both strands">
##FILTER=<ID=wv,Description="Other indel in window had higher likelihood">
#CHROM  POS     ID      REF     ALT     QUAL    FILTER  INFO    FORMAT  SAMPLE
Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers