Service notice: Several of our team members are on vacation so service will be slow through at least July 13th, possibly longer depending on how much backlog accumulates during that time. This means that for a while it may take us more time than usual to answer your questions. Thank you for your patience.

genotypeGVCFs InvocationTargetException

bruce01bruce01 Member
edited June 2014 in Ask the GATK team

Hi, first off I like the idea of the new Joint Genotyping method of 3.1, thanks for the hard work!

My issue: I have been running HaplotypeCaller in -ERC GVCF mode as is best practice. From the output GVCFs I have tried a few things but am now Joint Genotyping them. I did this for 16 exomes I have to test. There are 2 treatments, so 8 and 8 per treatment. On the final header line (#CHROM POS etc...) the sampleID only had 'treat1' or 'treat2', and so the resultant joint GVCF has two cols, instead of 16 which I want (and I presume I should expect?).

I am running:

java -Xmx4g -jarGenomeAnalysisTK.jar -R my.ref.fa -T GenotypeGVCFs -V gvcf.all.list -o genotyped.all.gvcf

which had worked for the list I gave it but only gave two treatment cols. I then sed'd out the 'treat1', or 'treat2' and put in sample IDs. This gives the error:

##### ERROR stack trace
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at org.broad.tribble.index.IndexFactory.loadIndex(IndexFactory.java:171)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.refdata.tracks.RMDTrackBuilder.loadFromDisk(RMDTrackBuilder.java:324)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.refdata.tracks.RMDTrackBuilder.attemptToLockAndLoadIndexFromDisk(RMDTrackBuilder.java:308)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.refdata.tracks.RMDTrackBuilder.loadIndex(RMDTrackBuilder.java:267)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.refdata.tracks.RMDTrackBuilder.getFeatureSource(RMDTrackBuilder.java:213)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.refdata.tracks.RMDTrackBuilder.createInstanceOfTrack(RMDTrackBuilder.java:140)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.datasources.rmd.ReferenceOrderedQueryDataPool.<init>(ReferenceOrderedDataSource.java:208)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.datasources.rmd.ReferenceOrderedDataSource.<init>(ReferenceOrderedDataSource.java:88)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.getReferenceOrderedDataSources(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:973)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.initializeDataSources(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:767)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.execute(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:284)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineExecutable.execute(CommandLineExecutable.java:121)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:248)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:155)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:107)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
        at org.broad.tribble.index.IndexFactory.loadIndex(IndexFactory.java:167)
        ... 14 more
Caused by: java.io.EOFException
        at org.broad.tribble.util.LittleEndianInputStream.readInt(LittleEndianInputStream.java:62)
        at org.broad.tribble.index.interval.IntervalTreeIndex$ChrIndex.read(IntervalTreeIndex.java:201)
        at org.broad.tribble.index.AbstractIndex.read(AbstractIndex.java:359)
        at org.broad.tribble.index.interval.IntervalTreeIndex.<init>(IntervalTreeIndex.java:51)
        ... 19 more
##### ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
##### ERROR A GATK RUNTIME ERROR has occurred (version 3.1-1-g07a4bf8):
##### ERROR
##### ERROR This might be a bug. Please check the documentation guide to see if this is a known problem.
##### ERROR If not, please post the error message, with stack trace, to the GATK forum.
##### ERROR Visit our website and forum for extensive documentation and answers to
##### ERROR commonly asked questions http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk
##### ERROR
##### ERROR MESSAGE: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

I appreciate any help you can give me=)

Best Answer

Answers