We've moved!
This site is now read-only. You can find our new documentation site and support forum for posting questions here.
Be sure to read our welcome blog!

Am I missing something with GridEngine? Jobs not Running in parallel

louwslouws San FranciscoMember

Hi!
I am happy to report that Queue and all the necessary tests for running GridEngine passed. The issue I am having is using a custom qscript to run a job in parallel. When I run the job on the cluster via qsub it runs in serial. Would someone be willing to look at my qsub syntax and my qscript to see if I am forgetting something?

The Qscript was a modified UnifiedGenotyper script configured to work with HaplotypeCaller:
` package org.broadinstitute.sting.queue.qscripts.examples

import org.broadinstitute.sting.queue.QScript
import org.broadinstitute.sting.queue.extensions.gatk._

class Haplotyper extends QScript {
  @Input(doc="The reference file for the bam files.", shortName="R")
  var referenceFile: File = _ // _ is scala shorthand for null

@Input(doc="Bam file to genotype.", shortName="I")
  var bamFile: File = _

@Input(doc="Output file.", shortName="o")
  var outputFile: File = _

trait UnifiedGenotyperArguments extends CommandLineGATK {
    this.reference_sequence = qscript.referenceFile
    this.intervals = if (qscript.intervals == null) Nil else List(qscript.intervals)
    this.memoryLimit = 2
  }
  def script() {
   val genotyper = new HaplotypeCaller with UnifiedGenotyperArguments

genotyper.scatterCount = 12
  genotyper.input_file :+= qscript.bamFile
  genotyper.out = swapExt(outputFile, qscript.bamFile, "bam", "vcf")

add(genotyper) 
    }
}`

and my Queue syntax was:
java -Djava.io.tmpdir=tmp -jar /location/of/queue/Queue.jar -S scripts/qscalascripts/haplotyper.scala -R human_g1k_v37 -I /source/input_file -o /destination/output/file -l debug -jobRunner GridEngine -run

When I use the above, the Queue script breaks up my job into 12 discrete pieces, but runs it all on one node on the cluster. Any pointers is most welcome.

Answers

• louwslouws San FranciscoMember

I think I may have stumbled on a possible answer and it has nothing to do with Queue or qscala. I tested the syntax from within a node, and everything ran in parallel. It is when I submit this via the headnode on the clusted via qsub that it runs in serial. Thank you everyone for taking the time to take a look.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Thanks for reporting back, and glad to hear that you've got it figured out.