GATK 3.0+ LOD issue with VariantRecalibrator Running Large data sets .

srynearson1srynearson1 Member
edited May 2014 in Ask the GATK team

Hello all,

Quick issue. I'm currently running VariantRecalibrator using the following command.

Program Args: -T VariantRecalibrator -R /data/srynearson/gatk_reference/human_g1k_v37_decoy.fasta --minNumBadVariants 5000 --num_threads 10 -resource:hapmap,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=15.0 /data/GATK_Bundle/hapmap_3.3.b37.vcf -resource:omni,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=12.0 /data/GATK_Bundle/1000G_omni2.5.b37.vcf -resource:1000G,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=10.0 /data/GATK_Bundle/1000G_phase1.snps.high_confidence.b37.vcf -an QD -an:HaplotypeScore -an:MQRankSum -an:ReadPosRankSum -an:FS -input /data2/srynearson/UGP06/fastq/UGP06_genotyped.vcf -recalFile /data2/srynearson/UGP06/fastq/UGP06_snp_recal -tranchesFile /data2/srynearson/UGP06/fastq/UGP06_snp_tranches -rscriptFile /data2/srynearson/UGP06/fastq/UGP06_snp_plots.R -mode SNP

And getting the following error:

ERROR MESSAGE: NaN LOD value assigned. Clustering with this few variants and these annotations is unsafe. Please consider raising the number of variants used to train the negative model (via --minNumBadVariants 5000, for example).

This seems strange given the "-input /data2/srynearson/UGP06/fastq/UGP06_genotyped.vcf" file above has 100 CEU individuals + one target exome.

I will note that the genotyped.vcf file does only show ~280,000 variants.

I have tried increasing the minNumBadVariants and reducing maxGaussian, but the error either stays the same or changes to "Unable to retrieve result".

Any ideas.

--SR

Best Answer

Answers