To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Is it possible to use SelectVariant to get exact variants from another VCF?

Hi,

I'm trying to get specific variants from a VCF file. I'm using SelectVariants' '--concordance'. This option is outputting any variant in the same genome position without regards for the actual REF and ALTs fields. Is there a way to get the variants matching REF exactly and ALTs at least containing the ALT in the concordance file?

Thanks,
Carlos

Tagged:

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Hi Carlos,

This is the expected behavior; SelectVariants doesn't check that the alleles match, just the position.

Is there a way to get the variants matching REF exactly

This worries me a little -- are you trying to compare callsets that have different REF alleles at the same position? That would be a sign that there is a mismatch between the references used to call the variants.

and ALTs at least containing the ALT in the concordance file?

I think the way to do this would be to subset using --concordance, combine the resulting VCFs, then check for genotype concordance using JEXL expressions. But others may have more straightforward suggestions.