The current GATK version is 3.7-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get notifications!

You can opt in to receive email notifications, for example when your questions get answered or when there are new announcements, by following the instructions given here.

Got a problem?

1. Search using the upper-right search box, e.g. using the error message.
2. Try the latest version of tools.
3. Include tool and Java versions.
4. Tell us whether you are following GATK Best Practices.
5. Include relevant details, e.g. platform, DNA- or RNA-Seq, WES (+capture kit) or WGS (PCR-free or PCR+), paired- or single-end, read length, expected average coverage, somatic data, etc.
6. For tool errors, include the error stacktrace as well as the exact command.
7. For format issues, include the result of running ValidateSamFile for BAMs or ValidateVariants for VCFs.
8. For weird results, include an illustrative example, e.g. attach IGV screenshots according to Article#5484.
9. For a seeming variant that is uncalled, include results of following Article#1235.

Did we ask for a bug report?

Then follow instructions in Article#1894.

Formatting tip!

Wrap blocks of code, error messages and BAM/VCF snippets--especially content with hashes (#)--with lines with three backticks ( ``` ) each to make a code block as demonstrated here.

Jump to another community
Picard 2.10.4 has MAJOR CHANGES that impact throughput of pipelines. Default compression is now 1 instead of 5, and Picard now handles compressed data with the Intel Deflator/Inflator instead of JDK.
GATK version 4.beta.2 (i.e. the second beta release) is out. See the GATK4 BETA page for download and details.

Would it be possible for PbsEngine jobRunner not to set a default queue?

CarlosBorrotoCarlosBorroto Member
edited March 2014 in Ask the GATK team

Hi,

I'm trying to use Queue with Torque through the PbsEngine jobRunner. The institutional cluster I'm trying to use doesn't allow users to select a queue. You are supposed to request the proper resources and a job routing algorithm selects the right queue for you.

I was able to confirm that doing this change allows me to use Queue in this kind of enviroment.

In "gatk-protected / public / queue-framework / src / main / scala / org / broadinstitute / sting / queue / engine / pbsengine / PbsEngineJobRunner.scala":

Change:

// If the job queue is set specify the job queue
    if (function.jobQueue != null)
      nativeSpec += " -q " + function.jobQueue
    else
      nativeSpec += " -q normal "

to:

// If the job queue is set specify the job queue
    if (function.jobQueue != null)
      nativeSpec += " -q " + function.jobQueue

Thanks,
Carlos

PS: Do the GATK team accepts pull requests? If so, I could submit a pull request with this change.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Sure, we accept pull requests. But I think this might need better handling for the case where you don't specify a queue but still need one to be set by default (?). Maybe it would be better to do this with a flag that deactivates setting the queue? I don't know if this makes sense and will defer to the usual experts of course :)

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Hah, that is really helpful, thanks Phil. Yep, I was also reacting with the initial "undefined is bad" feeling, but if you tell me that's it's actually not (or not worse than an arbitrary and non-universal default) then I am quite happy with Carlos' solution.

Carlos, feel free to make your pull-request to the public github repo and I'll make sure it gets processed. Please include the URL to this discussion in the description to fend off "undefined is bad" objections.