To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

MuTect quality score

mhofreemhofree San DiegoMember

I have run MuTect on a couple of samples and looking at the VCF file ouput, I am wondering why the quality column is left empty (.).
I have some VCF files generated as part of TCGA which do contain a numerical value in the quality column.
Does anyone have an idea?

Tagged:

Answers

• I've seen the same thing. Not sure what is up.

• blancoblanco StockholmMember

I have the same question. When I run MuTect all the quality scores (BQ) in the normal sample are marked with a dot.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Hey folks, sorry for the late reply. Can you please post a couple of variant records that show the issue? Also, can you indicate what version you're using and what was your command line?

• anniepyimanniepyim GermanyMember
    edited December 2014

Hi! I am having the same problem. I am using the latest version muTect-1.1.4 with Java 6 runtime (build 1.6.0_65).

This is the command line that I am using:

java -Xmx2g -jar /Users/ayim/Desktop/software/muTect-1.1.4-bin/muTect-1.1.4.jar --analysis_type MuTect --reference_sequence --dbsnp --input_file:normal --input_file:tumor --intervals --out --coverage_file -vcf

And this is part of the vcf output:

CHROM POS ID REF ALT QUAL FILTER INFO FORMAT 3588-Tail 3588-M1

chr19 3098159 . G T . REJECT . GT:AD:BQ:DP:FA 0:2,0:.:2:0.00 0/1:3,0:.:3:0.00

chr19 3098170 . C T . REJECT . GT:AD:BQ:DP:FA 0:2,1:.:3:0.333 0/1:3,0:.:3:0.00

chr19 3098248 . G T . REJECT . GT:AD:BQ:DP:FA 0:3,2:.:4:0.400 0/1:3,0:.:3:0.00

chr19 3098257 . T A . REJECT . GT:AD:BQ:DP:FA 0:3,2:.:4:0.400 0/1:3,0:.:3:0.00

chr19 3098279 . T C . REJECT . GT:AD:BQ:DP:FA 0:2,2:.:3:0.500 0/1:3,0:.:3:0.00

chr19 3098285 . T A . REJECT . GT:AD:BQ:DP:FA 0:3,0:.:2:0.00 0/1:3,0:.:3:0.00

• anniepyimanniepyim GermanyMember

I just realized Mutect has newer versions. I tried with both 1.1.5, 1.1.6 with Java 7 and also 1.1.7. (with same commands as above) But still I am having the problem with missing quality score. This only happens in Mutect but not Haplotypecaller.

• david.knoffdavid.knoff Boston, MAMember

Hi @Geraldine_VdAuwera

I am running MuTect 1.1.7 and am experiencing the same issue where the QUAL column outputs all "." as shown by anniepyim above.

Has this issue been resolved?

Thanks!

• xtYaoNYUxtYaoNYU IthacaMember

Based on http://www.broadinstitute.org/cancer/cga/mutect_run , the call stats output fields descriptions, my best guess is that current MuTect doesn't have a single final score for every call. Calls are filtered by combining multiple criteria.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

FYI there is a completely new and much improved version of MuTect called MuTect2 in the latest version of GATK (3.5). It outputs a proper VCF and also calls indels.