Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

is it possible to resume an interrupted run of UnifiedGenotyper?

glowgooseglowgoose University of Texas at AustinMember

..so is it possible?

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

No. But if you use Queue to scatter-gather UG jobs, it will automatically resume/retry any jobs that fail or get interrupted for whatever reason.

• pdexheimerpdexheimer Member ✭✭✭✭

Resume? No. Restart with a different interval (i.e., "last logged location before interruption" - "end of genome")? Sure.

• pdexheimerpdexheimer Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to perform a minor threadjack here, but I have a question about the auto-resume feature you mention with Queue, Geraldine.

Queue absolutely tracks the individual jobs, and will pick up where it left off if you restart a failed run. But in my experience, it will not automatically resubmit a failed job in the middle of a run. I do remember seeing code somewhere in Queue (possibly in the example scripts?) that would auto-resubmit jobs that failed because they ran out of memory, and increment the requested memory each time. I never got around to playing with that, but it looked cool. Did something like that end up in the main Queue engine and I missed it? Or am I just being ridiculously picky about your response?

• glowgooseglowgoose University of Texas at AustinMember

Thanks for your prompt responses, people! Clearly, my problems are rooted in my ignorance of the Queue. I would love to use it to run UG split by contig - I am sure this will dramatically shorten my runs and get rid of the "run interrupted" problem - but I am hopeless with those QScripts, it feels like I need to budget a week to learn this stuff. In the meantime, can anyone please share a UG Qscript that allows multiple BAM files (I have 132 of those) on the input, and splits the UG job by contig? I would tremendously appreciate that!..

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

@pdexheimer, it's a useful thread-jack, my wording was unintentionally misleading. The basic "resume" behaviour in Queue does indeed NOT resume jobs mid-run; as you point out you have to relaunch the script to make it retry failed jobs. There are indeed some cool automagic tricks but they're a little cryptic; I'll try to document them for our upcoming workshop.

@glowgoose, if you hang on a couple of days I will send you the draft presentations that we plan to present at our upcoming workshop. You can be our guinea pig and hopefully it will clarify a lot of things for you. But right now I can't take the time to give you the info in detail here because I'm behind schedule on making the slide decks...

• glowgooseglowgoose University of Texas at AustinMember

This sounds absolutely awesome, Geraldine!
    standing by...