The current GATK version is 3.8-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get notifications!

You can opt in to receive email notifications, for example when your questions get answered or when there are new announcements, by following the instructions given here.

Got a problem?

1. Search using the upper-right search box, e.g. using the error message.
2. Try the latest version of tools.
3. Include tool and Java versions.
4. Tell us whether you are following GATK Best Practices.
5. Include relevant details, e.g. platform, DNA- or RNA-Seq, WES (+capture kit) or WGS (PCR-free or PCR+), paired- or single-end, read length, expected average coverage, somatic data, etc.
6. For tool errors, include the error stacktrace as well as the exact command.
7. For format issues, include the result of running ValidateSamFile for BAMs or ValidateVariants for VCFs.
8. For weird results, include an illustrative example, e.g. attach IGV screenshots according to Article#5484.
9. For a seeming variant that is uncalled, include results of following Article#1235.

Did we ask for a bug report?

Then follow instructions in Article#1894.

Formatting tip!

Wrap blocks of code, error messages and BAM/VCF snippets--especially content with hashes (#)--with lines with three backticks ( ``` ) each to make a code block as demonstrated here.

Jump to another community
Download the latest Picard release at https://github.com/broadinstitute/picard/releases.
GATK version 4.beta.3 (i.e. the third beta release) is out. See the GATK4 beta page for download and details.

samples differ in coverage, how to set QUAL threshold in VariantFiltration

Hi :),
I'am new to NGS and have a questions reagarding the filtering.
I have 13 individuals, 3 of them with a coverage of 11x-15x, the rest with a coverage of 5x-7x. I did multi-sample SNPcalling and hard filtering, the latter as there are no known SNPs so far. Now I am not sure how to set the minimal SNP quality (QUAL). On the best practise it is suggested to juse at least 30 for individuals with a coverage of at least 30, but 4 if the coverage is below 10. So what is the best way to set the QUAL filter?

many thanks in advance

Best Answer

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

As answered in your other post, you are better off using the lower threshold for all of them for calling, but for filtering you need to be more stringent in order to eliminate false positives. Since your dataset is different from the "ideal" dataset that our Best Practices are based on, you will need to experiment a little to find the settings that work best for you.

• hi geraldine, thanks again! How should i experiment? Extract one scaffold and look which SNPs will disappear/stay? or is this the wrong technique?
    Thanks for the great support of you and your tem!
    voalvi

• Hi geraldine. I wanted to extract one scaffold to focus on a small region:) Many thanks for all the tips and help! Volavii