Complete this survey about your research needs and be entered to win an Amazon gift card or FireCloud credit.
Read more about it here!
Download the latest Picard release at https://github.com/broadinstitute/picard/releases.
GATK version 4.beta.6 is out. See the GATK4 beta page for download and details.

Which cut-off does GATK use to determine 'background-noise'?

Hello!
I've just begun working with GATK. I've done an analysis with a mitochondrium (not human) and now I'd like to know:
firstly: When does GATK list a variation? I have only few positions where less than 1% of the reads have a variation, and no positions where there are less than 0.5% listed. So what exactly is listed as a variation? (Information: I've skipped the deduping step, as we want to have many reads due to high variation within mitochondria, the average coverage is about 50 000)
secondly: Sometimes the VCF-file has, instead of 1/1/1/1... only ./././ and no information about the actual reads. What does that mean?
Is there a possbility that I could just get the amount of reference and alternative base(s) without any 'censoring'?

I'm rather confused about how all of this works, especially in the light of mitochondrial variation analysis.

I hope you guys can help me!
Greetings,
Insa

Best Answer

Answers