Complete this survey about your research needs and be entered to win an Amazon gift card or FireCloud credit.
Read more about it here!
Download the latest Picard release at https://github.com/broadinstitute/picard/releases.
GATK version 4.beta.6 is out. See the GATK4 beta page for download and details.

install gsalib

Hello,

I followed the instructions on the following page to install gsalib:

http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/discussion/1244/what-is-a-gatkreport

It is a very detail one. However, after I git clone the repository "gate-protected" (the source-code under download page point to this git repository) and type "ant gsalib" inside,it gives error information:

Buildfile: /Users/yingsh/home/github/gatk-protected/build.xml
[taskdef] Could not load definitions from resource cloverlib.xml. It could not be found.

gsalib:
[exec] * installing to library ‘/Users/yingsh/home/github/gatk-protected/public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/gsalib’
[exec] * installing source package ‘gsalib’ ...
[exec] ERROR: a 'NAMESPACE' file is required
[exec] * removing ‘/Users/yingsh/home/github/gatk-protected/public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/gsalib/gsalib’

BUILD FAILED
/Users/yingsh/home/github/gatk-protected/build.xml:1052: exec returned: 1

Total time: 4 seconds

Could you help me to fix this?

Thanks

Ying

Best Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie
    Accepted Answer

Oh I'm sorry, I meant you need to do R CMD INSTALL public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/gsalib. This way you leave the destination library directory blank, and so R will install the library where appropriate for your environment automatically. From the R ?INSTALL help page:

If used as R CMD INSTALL pkgs without explicitly specifying lib, packages are installed into the library tree rooted at the first directory in the library path which would be used by R run in the current environment.

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Hi Ying,

I think this is due to a bug in our build script. Can you please try doing a full build by running ant clean dist instead and let me know if that works?

• This seems working well (says "BUILD SUCCESSFUL" at the end). Although there are some warnings:

gatk.compile.external.source:

gatk.compile.source:

gatk.contracts:

gatk.compile:

init.extracthelp:
    [loadfile] /Users/yingsh/home/github/gatk-protected/build/java/classes/StingText.properties doesn't exist

extracthelp:
    [javadoc] Generating Javadoc
    [javadoc] Javadoc execution
    [javadoc] 0 [main] WARN org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.Utils - ********************************************************************************
    [javadoc] 1 [main] WARN org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.Utils - * WARNING:
    [javadoc] 1 [main] WARN org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.Utils - *
    [javadoc] 1 [main] WARN org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.Utils - * The following walkers are currently undocumented:
    [javadoc] 1 [main] WARN org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.Utils - * FindCoveredIntervals RecalibrationPerformance
    [javadoc] 1 [main] WARN org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.Utils - ********************************************************************************

init.queue-extensions.generate:

queue-extensions.generate:
    [mkdir] Created dir: /Users/yingsh/home/github/gatk-protected/build/queue-extensions/src
    [echo] Generating Queue GATK extensions...

init.scala.compile:

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
    Total time: 1 minute 24 seconds

And when I check the gsalib dir, it has the following folders:

ls public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/gsalib/
    DESCRIPTION Read-and-delete-me man
    R data

I still can not find this library in R, even I include this path (/Users/yingsh/home/github/gatk-protected/public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/) in .Rprofile.

Could you check this, Thanks,

Ying

Hi Ying,

You still need to manually install the gsalib package into R. See the link below for some instructions; follow "Method 1: Install from source"

http://math.usask.ca/~longhai/software/installrpkg.html

In the upcoming future we will add the gsalib to the CRAN repo to make installation easier.

• Thanks! Could you tell me which path I need to provide after:
    R CMD INSTALL gsalib -l

Thanks.

From the directory where you ran the ant dist command, you can use public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/ as path.

• Thanks, however, I ran this, but got:

R CMD INSTALL gsalib -l public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/
    Warning: invalid package ‘gsalib’
    Error: ERROR: no packages specified

I do:
    ls public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/
    gsalib

Accepted Answer

Oh I'm sorry, I meant you need to do R CMD INSTALL public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/gsalib. This way you leave the destination library directory blank, and so R will install the library where appropriate for your environment automatically. From the R ?INSTALL help page:

If used as R CMD INSTALL pkgs without explicitly specifying lib, packages are installed into the library tree rooted at the first directory in the library path which would be used by R run in the current environment.

• Thanks, it works now : )

Thanks for reporting your solution, @ying_sheng_1. This is going to be very useful for other people with the same problem.

• Could @ying_sheng_1 kindly provide what is the words in NAMESPACE file exactly? Much thanks!

• I'm sorry,@ying_sheng_1,I found it: exportPattern("^[^\.]")

• And in square brackets, there are two backslashes!!!

• kanghm, you are right. I don't know what was happened during copy and paste. Anyway, here is the original source I got this information:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8012596/error-with-asreml-d-package-in-r-2-14-0/8014357#8014357

• splaisansplaisan Leuven / Gent (Belgium)Member

I also seem to have a late problem during reporting.
    I installed gsalib manually and it loads well but the end of the run dies with

* DONE (gsalib)
    Loading required package: gtools
    Loading required package: gdata
    gdata: read.xls support for 'XLS' (Excel 97-2004) files ENABLED.

gdata: read.xls support for 'XLSX' (Excel 2007+) files ENABLED.

Attaching package: ‘gdata’

The following object(s) are masked from ‘package:utils’:

object.size

The following object(s) are masked from ‘package:stats’:

nobs

Loading required package: caTools
    Loading required package: grid
    Loading required package: KernSmooth
    KernSmooth 2.23 loaded
    Copyright M. P. Wand 1997-2009
    Loading required package: MASS

Attaching package: ‘gplots’

The following object(s) are masked from ‘package:stats’:

lowess

Loading required package: plyr

Attaching package: ‘reshape’

The following object(s) are masked from ‘package:plyr’:

rename, round_any

[1] "Report"
    [1] "Project          : /home/splaisan/Desktop/GATK_out/ExampleCountReads.jobreport.txt"
    Error in order(allJobs$analysisName, allJobs$startTime, decreasing = T) : 
      argument 1 is not a vector
    Calls: source ... withVisible -> eval -> eval -> plotJobsGantt -> order
    Execution halted
    DEBUG 16:51:29,501 RScriptExecutor - Result: 1 
    WARN  16:51:29,502 RScriptExecutor - RScript exited with 1 
    INFO  16:51:29,509 QCommandLine - Script completed successfully with 1 total jobs 
    DEBUG 16:51:29,515 IOUtils - Deleted /home/splaisan/Desktop/GATK_out/tmp/Q-Classes-5466328457640253208

I did the 'ant clean dist' which worked, then reinstalled with 'R CMD INSTALL public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/gsalib', then even changed NAMESPACE from exportPattern(".") to exportPattern("^[^.]").
    I still get the error

[1] "Project          : /home/splaisan/Desktop/GATK_out/ExampleCountReads.jobreport.txt"
    Error in order(allJobs$analysisName, allJobs$startTime, decreasing = T) :
      argument 1 is not a vector
    Calls: source ... withVisible -> eval -> eval -> plotJobsGantt -> order

Any idea of what I can do next! (I run R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26) -- "Trick or Treat" on this RHEL6 64bit server)

Thanks
    Stephane

Hi Stephane,

I'm not sure what is wrong there -- the code that generates the job report is part of the Queue package, and it hasn't been updated in a while. It might be a version compatibility issue. Unfortunately we're currently not able to provide support for that kind of issue with Queue, sorry.

Hi Stephane,

We have a user report in another thread indicating that the problem may be due to an outdated version of ggplot2, which you can resolve by upgrading your installed version.

http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/discussion/comment/5803#Comment_5803

• splaisansplaisan Leuven / Gent (Belgium)Member

Hi Geraldine,
    You were right, I did a clean install of R and RStudio and I can now run gsalib with the small inline example provided elsewhere here. I had to adapt few steps from posts found here (especially from Ying Sheng (thanks!)

# I put it into one wofkflow, hope this helps

# go to a write accessed place and type
    git clone git://github.com/broadgsa/gatk.git
    cd gatk

# from upper posts, make sure the gatk source is up-todate
    ant clean dist

# build the lib
    ant gsalib

# add the missing NAMESPACE file to the package
    # to do so, move to the package forlder 
    cd public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/gsalib/
    nano NAMESPACE
    # type in (with two back slashes!)
    exportPattern("^[^\\.]")
    # save return to the root of gatk

# decide of the place where you want the package installed 
    # for instance I added a 'R_LIBS_USER=/path/to/my/libs' to which I have write rights in my ~/.Renviron file and exported the variable
    # finally type (you can provide the R_LIBS_USER path instead
    R CMD INSTALL public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/gsalib -l $R_LIBS_USER

#### this did it for me after a lot of searching and is loading under R 3.0

• @splaisan said:
    Hi Geraldine,
    You were right, I did a clean install of R and RStudio and I can now run gsalib with the small inline example provided elsewhere here. I had to adapt few steps from posts found here (especially from Ying Sheng (thanks!)

# I put it into one wofkflow, hope this helps

# go to a write accessed place and type
    git clone git://github.com/broadgsa/gatk.git
    cd gatk

# from upper posts, make sure the gatk source is up-todate
    ant clean dist

# build the lib
    ant gsalib

# add the missing NAMESPACE file to the package
    # to do so, move to the package forlder 
    cd public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/gsalib/
    nano NAMESPACE
    # type in (with two back slashes!)
    exportPattern("^[^\\.]")
    # save return to the root of gatk

# decide of the place where you want the package installed 
    # for instance I added a 'R_LIBS_USER=/path/to/my/libs' to which I have write rights in my ~/.Renviron file and exported the variable
    # finally type (you can provide the R_LIBS_USER path instead
    R CMD INSTALL public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/gsalib -l $R_LIBS_USER

#### this did it for me after a lot of searching and is loading under R 3.0

Many thanks to you. splaisan
    I install gsalib as you said,but when I confirm gsalib in R ,I type
    library(gsalib) ## seems no error
    d=gsa.read.gatkreport("DataProcessing-gatk.grp") Error: could not find function "gsa.read.gatkreport"

I use 'R CMD INSTALL public/R/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/R/gsalib -l R-libs',
    when I see 'R-libs' , it contain "data DESCRIPTION help html INDEX Meta NAMESPACE R",but in R,it just contain "gsalib gsalib.rdb gsalib.rdx", is it right?,it does not contain gsa.read.gatkreport.R, I do not know why? Many thanks.

• Hi, may I ask anyone to provide an updated instruction for the current GATK version 3. The directory .../R/src/... cannot be found anymore in the current github or gatk-master... downloads. Is there a way for the Broad team to provide gsalib as a gz-package to be installed directly via the "install.package" script within R? Thanks for your help.

You can get gsalib directly from CRAN now.