Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

How does MAPQ affect haplotypecaller during germline calling

I understand that, during germline calling, pairHMM calculates the likelihood of each haplotype by taking base quality into consideration.

My question is: what role does MAPQ play during germline calling?

For example in low mapperable region, we may get alignment with multiple mismatch within a short window or alignment of multiple hits. these situation of low MAPQ alignment should be considered by haplotypecaller, right? Can anyone share some insight on this?

Answers

• UniCornUniCorn USMember

Can anyone share some insights on this? According to the HC documentation, base quality is taken into consideration during pair-HMM. I suppose region with multiple mismatch gets low likelihood for all possible allele (say AA, AC and CC at given site). However, I didn't find a minimum threshold of likelihood be set. So after normalization, the allele with highest likelihood still get emitted? Or I missed something that prevent this from happening?

• Tiffany_at_BroadTiffany_at_Broad Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @UniCorn ,

The GATK support team is focused on resolving questions about GATK tool-specific errors and abnormal results from the tools. For all other questions, such as this one, we are building a backlog to work through when we have the capacity.

Please continue to post your questions because we will be mining them for improvements to documentation, resources, and tools.

We cannot guarantee a reply, however, we ask other community members to help out if you know the answer.

For context, see this announcement and check out our support policy.

• UniCornUniCorn USMember

Sorry for that. Actually this is HaplotypeCaller specific. please allow me to rephrase my question. Also, please let me know if I need to open this question in a new post.

As far as my understanding, HaplotypeCaller uses base quality during pair-HMM construction. I have limited understanding of HMM and feel confused about how the base quality is integrated into HMM. My guess is that the base quality affect either the initial sequence of hidden state or the emmission probability of the each allele. But again I guess I am wrong.