Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

How do I reach my data when running GATK in docker?

zsuzsannaHzsuzsannaH HungaryMember
Hi! I would like to try out GATK but I am new to Linux OS, generally I use Windows OS. I installed Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS through Oracle VirtualBox 6.0 on a laptop running Windows 10. I followed the instructions on the https://software.broadinstitute.org/gatk/documentation/article?id=11090 website to install Docker and downloading the GATK container image. When I try to run the FastqToSam tool it looks like this:

'''
[email protected]lBox:~$ sudo docker run -v ~/home/lmi/NGS:/gatk/my_data -it broadinstitute/gatk:4.1.3.0
[sudo] password for lmi:
(gatk) [email protected]:/gatk# gatk FastqToSam -F1 F1.fastq -F2 F2.fastq -O uBAM.bam -SM sample001 -RG rg0013
Using GATK jar /gatk/gatk-package-4.1.3.0-local.jar
Running:
java -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_read_samtools=false -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_samtools=true -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_tribble=false -Dsamjdk.compression_level=2 -jar /gatk/gatk-package-4.1.3.0-local.jar FastqToSam -F1 F1.fastq -F2 F2.fastq -O uBAM.bam -SM sample001 -RG rg0013
09:40:34.696 INFO NativeLibraryLoader - Loading libgkl_compression.so from jar:file:/gatk/gatk-package-4.1.3.0-local.jar!/com/intel/gkl/native/libgkl_compression.so
[Thu Oct 10 09:40:34 UTC 2019] FastqToSam --FASTQ F1.fastq --FASTQ2 F2.fastq --OUTPUT uBAM.bam --READ_GROUP_NAME rg0013 --SAMPLE_NAME sample001 --USE_SEQUENTIAL_FASTQS false --SORT_ORDER queryname --MIN_Q 0 --MAX_Q 93 --STRIP_UNPAIRED_MATE_NUMBER false --ALLOW_AND_IGNORE_EMPTY_LINES false --VERBOSITY INFO --QUIET false --VALIDATION_STRINGENCY STRICT --COMPRESSION_LEVEL 2 --MAX_RECORDS_IN_RAM 500000 --CREATE_INDEX false --CREATE_MD5_FILE false --GA4GH_CLIENT_SECRETS client_secrets.json --help false --version false --showHidden false --USE_JDK_DEFLATER false --USE_JDK_INFLATER false
Oct 10, 2019 9:40:41 AM shaded.cloud_nio.com.google.auth.oauth2.ComputeEngineCredentials runningOnComputeEngine
INFO: Failed to detect whether we are running on Google Compute Engine.
[Thu Oct 10 09:40:41 UTC 2019] Executing as [email protected] on Linux 5.0.0-31-generic amd64; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 1.8.0_191-8u191-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.1-b12; Deflater: Intel; Inflater: Intel; Provider GCS is available; Picard version: Version:4.1.3.0
[Thu Oct 10 09:40:41 UTC 2019] picard.sam.FastqToSam done. Elapsed time: 0.12 minutes.
Runtime.totalMemory()=79167488
To get help, see http://broadinstitute.github.io/picard/index.html#GettingHelp
htsjdk.samtools.SAMException: Cannot read non-existent file: file:///gatk/F1.fastq
at htsjdk.samtools.util.IOUtil.assertFileIsReadable(IOUtil.java:483)
at htsjdk.samtools.util.IOUtil.assertFileIsReadable(IOUtil.java:470)
at picard.sam.FastqToSam.doWork(FastqToSam.java:312)
at picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:305)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.PicardCommandLineProgramExecutor.instanceMain(PicardCommandLineProgramExecutor.java:25)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:162)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:205)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:291)
(gatk) [email protected]:/gatk#
'''

If I understand it correctly from "Cannot read non-existent file", it can't find the input fastq files I have in my NGS directory. I would like for my working directory to be /home/lmi/NGS. How should I start GATK to resolve this?

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers