Heads up:
We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

VQSR in dog

jphekmanjphekman Broad InstituteMember

Hi team! I am working on running a bunch of dogs through GATK variant calling in Terra, as many of you know. I'm grappling with VQSR at this point. I have compiled a bunch of dog variant resources and was hoping you folks would be willing to offer opinions on my current plan for using them for VQSR.

I'm working with the joint-discovery-gatk4 WDL, v13, as acquired from the Terra library. I have removed the human-specific variant resources (hapmap, omni, etc). I have compiled to replace them, in order from most to least confidence:

• axiom_klab: the intersection of the klab variants (see next entry) with Axiom 1.2 million array variants. These are our highest confidence variants.
  • klab: variants called by Karlsson lab on 20-30X dogs, filtered with hard filters
  • ostrander435: variants called by Ostrander lab on 20-30X dogs, filtered with VQSR (method details unknown, many more variants than the klab compilation so I assume more sensitive / less specific)
  • broad: variants from the Broad track on UCSC
  • axelsson: variants called for Axelsson et al., 2014
  • dogsd: variants downloaded from http://bigd.big.ac.cn/dogsdv2/

I'm putting these in to VariantRecalibrator calls in the WDL as below:

--resource:axiom_klab,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=10 ${axiom_klab_vcf} \
      --resource:klab,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=8 ${klab_vcf} \
      --resource:ostrander435,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=7 ${ostrander435_vcf} \
      --resource:broad,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=5 ${broad_vcf} \
      --resource:axelsson,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=5 ${axelsson_vcf} \
      --resource:dogsd,known=true,training=false,truth=false,prior=2 ${dogsd_vcf}

I would love feedback on whether my decisions are generally sensible here or if I am completely missing the boat on how VQSR is supposed to work.

Tagged:

Answers