Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

java.lang.NullPointerException error

xiang_zuoxiang_zuo shanghaiMember

Dear GATK team,
I am using GATK v4.0.6.0 to analyze target enrichment data, while calculating on target reads with CountReads, everything seems fine but extra information pasted below appears at last. My command is:
java -Xms10g -jar gatk-package-4.0.6.0-local.jar CountReads -R hg38.fa --interval-padding 100 -I _sorted_rmdups.bam -L capture_targets.bed -LE true >_capture_padded_ontarget_reads.txt

Something surprised me is that if the parameter --interval-padding 100 is not added and only ontarget reads in capture regions are calculated, this extra information will not appear and the it will generate the result file. But I want to calculated ontarget reads in padded capture regions, so could you please help to solve the problem? Thanks!

java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.ComparableTimSort.countRunAndMakeAscending(ComparableTimSort.java:325)
at java.util.ComparableTimSort.sort(ComparableTimSort.java:202)
at java.util.Arrays.sort(Arrays.java:1312)
at java.util.Arrays.sort(Arrays.java:1506)
at java.util.ArrayList.sort(ArrayList.java:1462)
at java.util.Collections.sort(Collections.java:141)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.IntervalUtils.sortAndMergeIntervals(IntervalUtils.java:459)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.IntervalUtils.getIntervalsWithFlanks(IntervalUtils.java:956)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.IntervalUtils.loadIntervals(IntervalUtils.java:229)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.argumentcollections.IntervalArgumentCollection.parseIntervals(IntervalArgumentCollection.java:174)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.argumentcollections.IntervalArgumentCollection.getTraversalParameters(IntervalArgumentCollection.java:155)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.argumentcollections.IntervalArgumentCollection.getIntervals(IntervalArgumentCollection.java:111)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.initializeIntervals(GATKTool.java:445)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.onStartup(GATKTool.java:640)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.ReadWalker.onStartup(ReadWalker.java:50)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:133)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:180)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:199)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:160)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:203)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:289)

Answers

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @xiang_zuo

Can you please post the entire error log.

• xiang_zuoxiang_zuo shanghaiMember

@bhanuGandham said:
    Hi @xiang_zuo

Can you please post the entire error log.

08:03:59.420 INFO NativeLibraryLoader - Loading libgkl_compression.so from jar:file:gatk-package-4.0.6.0-local.jar!/com/intel/gkl/native/libgkl_compression.so
    08:03:59.567 INFO CountReads - ------------------------------------------------------------
    08:03:59.567 INFO CountReads - The Genome Analysis Toolkit (GATK) v4.0.6.0
    08:03:59.567 INFO CountReads - For support and documentation go to https://software.broadinstitute.org/gatk/
    08:03:59.567 INFO CountReads - Executing as [email protected] on Linux v3.10.0-514.el7.x86_64 amd64
    08:03:59.567 INFO CountReads - Java runtime: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM v1.8.0_152-b16
    08:03:59.568 INFO CountReads - Start Date/Time: September 6, 2019 8:03:59 AM CST
    08:03:59.568 INFO CountReads - ------------------------------------------------------------
    08:03:59.568 INFO CountReads - ------------------------------------------------------------
    08:03:59.568 INFO CountReads - HTSJDK Version: 2.16.0
    08:03:59.568 INFO CountReads - Picard Version: 2.18.7
    08:03:59.568 INFO CountReads - HTSJDK Defaults.COMPRESSION_LEVEL : 2
    08:03:59.568 INFO CountReads - HTSJDK Defaults.USE_ASYNC_IO_READ_FOR_SAMTOOLS : false
    08:03:59.569 INFO CountReads - HTSJDK Defaults.USE_ASYNC_IO_WRITE_FOR_SAMTOOLS : true
    08:03:59.569 INFO CountReads - HTSJDK Defaults.USE_ASYNC_IO_WRITE_FOR_TRIBBLE : false
    08:03:59.569 INFO CountReads - Deflater: IntelDeflater
    08:03:59.569 INFO CountReads - Inflater: IntelInflater
    08:03:59.569 INFO CountReads - GCS max retries/reopens: 20
    08:03:59.569 INFO CountReads - Using google-cloud-java patch 6d11bef1c81f885c26b2b56c8616b7a705171e4f from https://github.com/droazen/google-cloud-java/tree/dr_all_nio_fixes
    08:03:59.569 INFO CountReads - Initializing engine
    08:04:00.108 INFO FeatureManager - Using codec BEDCodec to read file file:///capture_targets.bed
    08:04:00.138 INFO CountReads - Shutting down engine
    [September 6, 2019 8:04:00 AM CST] org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.CountReads done. Elapsed time: 0.01 minutes.
    Runtime.totalMemory()=11060903936
    at java.util.ComparableTimSort.countRunAndMakeAscending(ComparableTimSort.java:325)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.IntervalUtils.sortAndMergeIntervals(IntervalUtils.java:459)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.IntervalUtils.getIntervalsWithFlanks(IntervalUtils.java:956)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.IntervalUtils.loadIntervals(IntervalUtils.java:229)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.argumentcollections.IntervalArgumentCollection.parseIntervals(IntervalArgumentCollection.java:174)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.argumentcollections.IntervalArgumentCollection.getTraversalParameters(IntervalArgumentCollection.java:155)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.argumentcollections.IntervalArgumentCollection.getIntervals(IntervalArgumentCollection.java:111)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.initializeIntervals(GATKTool.java:445)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.onStartup(GATKTool.java:640)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.ReadWalker.onStartup(ReadWalker.java:50)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:133)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:180)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:199)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:160)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:203)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:289)

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

HI @xiang_zuo

Can you please try this with the latest GATKv4.1.3.0 and see if the problem persists.

edited September 9

@xiang_zuo

Can you please provide read length of the input. If possible can you please provide the output of samtool stats of the input bam file.

@bhanuGandham said:
    @xiang_zuo

Can you please provide read length of the input. If possible can you please provide the output of samtool stats of the input bam file.

@bhanuGandham
    The read length is PE150. The output of samtools stats is very long, how can I show you the result? Or which key information do you need?

Hi @xiang_zuo

Sorry that is my bad. I meant samtools flagstat Sample_sorted.bam. Thank you!

Also please test with the latest GATK4.1 version and let me know if the issue persists.

@bhanuGandham said:
    Hi @xiang_zuo

Sorry that is my bad. I meant samtools flagstat Sample_sorted.bam. Thank you!

4794470 + 0 in total (QC-passed reads + QC-failed reads)
    10816 + 0 secondary
    0 + 0 supplementary
    0 + 0 duplicates
    4794214 + 0 mapped (99.99% : N/A)
    4783654 + 0 paired in sequencing
    2391829 + 0 read1
    2391825 + 0 read2
    4766748 + 0 properly paired (99.65% : N/A)
    4783396 + 0 with itself and mate mapped
    2 + 0 singletons (0.00% : N/A)
    14510 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr
    12703 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr (mapQ>=5)

@bhanuGandham said:
    Also please test with the latest GATK4.1 version and let me know if the issue persists.

Ok, I am downloading the newest version, and I will tell you the results then. Thanks!

@bhanuGandham said:

@bhanuGandham

The command is:
    java -Xms10g -jar gatk-package-4.1.3.0-local.jar CountReads -R hg38.fa --interval-padding 100 -I _sorted_rmdups.bam -L capture_targets.bed -LE true >_capture_padded_ontarget_reads.txt

But the error information still appears, which I pasted below.

Runtime.totalMemory()=10290200576
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.IntervalUtils.getIntervalsWithFlanks(IntervalUtils.java:957)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.initializeIntervals(GATKTool.java:513)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.onStartup(GATKTool.java:708)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:137)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:191)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:210)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:162)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:205)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:291)

@xiang_zuo Hmmm that is weird. And just to be clear, you are saying that when you run this exact same command but just without the 'interval-padding 100' it works just fine?

@bhanuGandham said:
    @xiang_zuo Hmmm that is weird. And just to be clear, you are saying that when you run this exact same command but just without the 'interval-padding 100' it works just fine?

Yes, I am sure it works. And I also analyzed a whole exome sequencing data successfully with the same command.

Hi @xiang_zuo

Can you confirm that the bed file used is compatible with the reference(hg38) sequence dictionary?

@bhanuGandham said:
    Hi @xiang_zuo

Can you confirm that the bed file used is compatible with the reference(hg38) sequence dictionary?

Thanks. Sorry that I made a mistake, my colleague told me that the panel was designed based on hg19, so I change the ref genome to hg19 and then everything goes well. Thanks for your help.