Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Multi-tumor variant calling with Mutect2 (GATK v4.1.3.0) weakens sensitivity

amjaddamjadd FinlandMember

This observation is very clear when one or more of the tumor samples have very low tumor content or no tumor content.

So for example if we have tumor1 and tumor2 with high tumor content and tumor3 with low tumor content, using Mutect2 on tumor1 and tumor2 will produce a lot more variants than when doing the calling on tumor1, tumor2 and tumor3 together.

Answers

• akovalskakovalsk Member, Broadie, Moderator admin

@amjadd

Thank you for your question! If tumor1 and tumor2 have much less depth than tumor3 you could lose some sensitivity, although would expect only on calls that were questionable to begin with.

Are you applying any filtering?

• amjaddamjadd FinlandMember

Hi @akovalsk
    Thank you for your answer. My observation is of course based on the final calls after FilterMutectCalls.

But I am seeing this mainly in cases where one or more of the tumor samples are impure (almost normal like), as if they were diluting the signal. This of course could mean that Mutect2 underestimates heterogeneity in multi-sample calling, but that I cannot evaluate in my samples.

I think that a multi-tumor somatic variant caller should emit a variant if it passes the detection limit in any of the tumor samples, not only when it passes the joint detection limit.

• akovalskakovalsk Member, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @amjadd thank you for elaborating. Could you share with us some of the sites in question? If you wouldn't mind sharing for context a few sites that were dropped, and a few that showed up in both vcfs, it may help us answer.