Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

GenomicsDBimport - correct syntax several intervals/chromosomes

I read this blog-post from Geraldine "UsingGenomicsDBImport in practice";
https://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/gatk/discussion/11813/how-to-consolidate-gvcfs-for-joint-calling-with-genotypegvcfs
saying something about how to import several chromosomes;

gatk GenomicsDBImport \
-V data/gvcfs/mother.g.vcf \
-V data/gvcfs/father.g.vcf \
-V data/gvcfs/son.g.vcf \
--genomicsdb-workspace-path my_database \
--intervals chr20,chr21

So I used similar With
-L 1, 2 (like above)

When I do similar with my gvcfs (there are no "Chr" in the chromosome-names) I get an error mesage;
"A USER ERROR has occurred: Badly formed genome unclippedLoc: Query interval "1,2" is not valid for this input."
When I use -L 1 the program runs and I can continue successfully With GenotypeGVCFs
When I use -L 1 -L 2 the program runs, but there (seems to be) no data for chromosome 2 (and maybe more errors too)?

Q1:
what is the correct syntax if I want to make batches of several chromosomes?
Q2:
In this blog-post ( https://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/gatk/discussion/24371/a-problem-about-genomicsdbimport-and-combinegvcfs#latest ) it is said (bhanuGandham ) that; "GenomicsDBImport is used for samples in the order of thousands. For <1000 samples it is better to use CombineGVCFs". This was New information.
Is 1000 an "official/recommended" limit for the number of WGS-samples to GenomicsDBImport resp CombineGVCFs?
Is a sample an individual with all chromosomes or is it meant one interval/chromosome from 1000 individuals?

Answers

• bshifawbshifaw Member, Broadie, Moderator admin
    1. what is the correct syntax if I want to make batches of several chromosomes?

Please review the following doc on ways to provide intervals to gatk article#4133, and confirm you are using the right format as mentioned in this post

1. Is 1000 an "official/recommended" limit for the number of WGS-samples to GenomicsDBImport resp CombineGVCFs?

Yes, please read the caveat section of the CombineGVCFs tool docs

1. Is a sample an individual with all chromosomes or is it meant one interval/chromosome from 1000 individuals?

The former, please review the GATK Best Practices Data Preprocessing and Germline short variant discovery