Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Input/output error while running combineGVCFs

tungvutungvu VietnamMember

Hi, as the title said, I was trying to combineGVCFs around 120 gvcfs into 1 gvcfs. The initial steps went fine until it reaches chromosome 10 then it prints out the following errors; I've tried multiple times with the same shutdown at chromosome 10.

I was running: ~/toolbox/gatk-4.1.2.0/gatk --java-options "-Xmx28g" CombineGVCFs -R ~/resources/ucsc.hg19.fasta --variant batch1.list -O batch1.g.vcf

Error:
01:16:03.156 INFO ProgressMeter - chr10:23399342 717.5 487779000 679866.7
01:16:15.224 INFO CombineGVCFs - Shutting down engine
[August 7, 2019 1:16:15 AM ICT] org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.CombineGVCFs done. Elapsed time: 720.20 minutes.
Runtime.totalMemory()=15668871168
htsjdk.samtools.util.RuntimeIOException: java.io.IOException: Input/output error
at htsjdk.tribble.readers.SynchronousLineReader.readLine(SynchronousLineReader.java:53)
at htsjdk.tribble.readers.LineIteratorImpl.advance(LineIteratorImpl.java:24)
at htsjdk.tribble.readers.LineIteratorImpl.advance(LineIteratorImpl.java:11)
at htsjdk.samtools.util.AbstractIterator.next(AbstractIterator.java:57)
at htsjdk.tribble.AsciiFeatureCodec.decode(AsciiFeatureCodec.java:70)
at htsjdk.tribble.AsciiFeatureCodec.decode(AsciiFeatureCodec.java:37)
at htsjdk.tribble.TribbleIndexedFeatureReader$WFIterator.readNextRecord(TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.java:373)
at htsjdk.tribble.TribbleIndexedFeatureReader$WFIterator.next(TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.java:354)
at htsjdk.tribble.TribbleIndexedFeatureReader$WFIterator.next(TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.java:315)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.MultiVariantDataSource$1.next(MultiVariantDataSource.java:394)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.MultiVariantDataSource$1.next(MultiVariantDataSource.java:379)
at htsjdk.samtools.util.PeekableIterator.advance(PeekableIterator.java:71)
at htsjdk.samtools.util.PeekableIterator.next(PeekableIterator.java:57)
at htsjdk.samtools.util.MergingIterator.next(MergingIterator.java:101)
at java.util.Iterator.forEachRemaining(Iterator.java:116)
at java.util.Spliterators$IteratorSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Spliterators.java:1801)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:482)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:472)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:150)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:173)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:485)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.MultiVariantWalker.traverse(MultiVariantWalker.java:117)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.MultiVariantWalkerGroupedOnStart.traverse(MultiVariantWalkerGroupedOnStart.java:122)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.doWork(GATKTool.java:1039)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:139)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:191)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:210)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:162)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:205)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:291)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Input/output error
at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.read0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.read(FileDispatcherImpl.java:46)
at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:223)
at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(IOUtil.java:197)
at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.read(FileChannelImpl.java:159)
at sun.nio.ch.ChannelInputStream.read(ChannelInputStream.java:65)
at sun.nio.ch.ChannelInputStream.read(ChannelInputStream.java:109)
at sun.nio.ch.ChannelInputStream.read(ChannelInputStream.java:103)
at java.io.InputStream.read(InputStream.java:101)
at htsjdk.tribble.readers.PositionalBufferedStream.fill(PositionalBufferedStream.java:132)
at htsjdk.tribble.readers.PositionalBufferedStream.read(PositionalBufferedStream.java:84)
at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(StreamDecoder.java:284)
at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(StreamDecoder.java:326)
at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(StreamDecoder.java:178)
at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:184)
at htsjdk.tribble.readers.LongLineBufferedReader.fill(LongLineBufferedReader.java:140)
at htsjdk.tribble.readers.LongLineBufferedReader.readLine(LongLineBufferedReader.java:300)
at htsjdk.tribble.readers.LongLineBufferedReader.readLine(LongLineBufferedReader.java:356)
at htsjdk.tribble.readers.SynchronousLineReader.readLine(SynchronousLineReader.java:51)
... 30 more

Tagged:

Best Answer

• tungvutungvu Vietnam
    edited August 16 Accepted Answer

@bshifaw said:
    Hi @tungvu

Try the following:

1) Validating your GVCFs using ValidateVariants to make sure nothing is wrong with the format.
    2) Add temp directory to your command --tmp-dir and set it to a directory with ample diskspace.

Hi, I figured it was something to do with gatk4 so I went with gatk3.7; The error output of gatk3.7 were more informative: org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.exceptions.ReviewedGATKException: Unable to create iterator for rod named variant102.

Revalidate variant102 on my list came out normal but I ran genotypeGVCFs for variant102 again anyway and combineGVCFs works flawlessly.

Answers

• bshifawbshifaw Member, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @tungvu

Try the following:

1) Validating your GVCFs using ValidateVariants to make sure nothing is wrong with the format.
    2) Add temp directory to your command --tmp-dir and set it to a directory with ample diskspace.

• tungvutungvu VietnamMember
    edited August 16 Accepted Answer

@bshifaw said:
    Hi @tungvu

Try the following:

Hi, I figured it was something to do with gatk4 so I went with gatk3.7; The error output of gatk3.7 were more informative: org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.exceptions.ReviewedGATKException: Unable to create iterator for rod named variant102.

Revalidate variant102 on my list came out normal but I ran genotypeGVCFs for variant102 again anyway and combineGVCFs works flawlessly.