Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

About CombineGVCFs

Hi,

I have about 600 g.vcf files after GATK haplotypecalling.
Then I want to combine the 600 g.vcf files.
I tried to combine 600 g.vcf files with GATK CombineGVCFs but I couldn't.
The command I used is as below.
----------
java -jar /home/h1kimura/lib/gatk-4.1.2.0/gatk-package-4.1.2.0-local.jar CombineGVCFs
-R /oasis/projects/nsf/ddp195/h1kimura/resources/human_g1k_v37_decoy.fasta
-V /oasis/projects/nsf/ddp195/h1kimura/exon_vcfs//gVCF.list
-O /oasis/projects/nsf/ddp195/h1kimura/exon_vcfs/combined_genotyped.vcf

gVCF.list includes 600 g.vcf files
----------------------
the erro message are as below
----------------------
07:30:27.308 INFO FeatureManager - Using codec VCFCodec to read file file:///oasis/projects/nsf/ddp195/h1kimura/exon_vcfs/NP070.raw_variants.g.vcf
07:30:41.618 INFO FeatureManager - Using codec VCFCodec to read file file:///oasis/projects/nsf/ddp195/h1kimura/exon_vcfs/NP071.raw_variants.g.vcf
08:29:17.988 INFO CombineGVCFs - Shutting down engine
[July 15, 2019 8:29:18 AM PDT] org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.CombineGVCFs done. Elapsed time: 62.33 minutes.
Runtime.totalMemory()=26742882304
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at htsjdk.tribble.index.IndexFactory.loadIndex(IndexFactory.java:202)
at htsjdk.tribble.index.IndexFactory.loadIndex(IndexFactory.java:178)
at htsjdk.tribble.TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.loadIndex(TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.java:163)
at htsjdk.tribble.TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.hasIndex(TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.java:228)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.FeatureDataSource.<init>(FeatureDataSource.java:263)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.FeatureManager.addToFeatureSources(FeatureManager.java:234)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.MultiVariantWalker.lambda$initializeDrivingVariants$0(MultiVariantWalker.java:73)
at java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1382)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$Head.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:580)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.MultiVariantWalker.initializeDrivingVariants(MultiVariantWalker.java:63)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.VariantWalkerBase.initializeFeatures(VariantWalkerBase.java:55)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.onStartup(GATKTool.java:697)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.MultiVariantWalker.onStartup(MultiVariantWalker.java:46)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:137)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:191)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:210)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:162)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:205)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:291)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor27.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
at htsjdk.tribble.index.IndexFactory.loadIndex(IndexFactory.java:195)
... 18 more
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at htsjdk.tribble.index.linear.LinearIndex$ChrIndex.read(LinearIndex.java:295)
at htsjdk.tribble.index.AbstractIndex.read(AbstractIndex.java:404)
at htsjdk.tribble.index.linear.LinearIndex.<init>(LinearIndex.java:116)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor27.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
at htsjdk.tribble.index.IndexFactory.loadIndex(IndexFactory.java:195)
at htsjdk.tribble.index.IndexFactory.loadIndex(IndexFactory.java:178)
at htsjdk.tribble.TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.loadIndex(TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.java:163)
at htsjdk.tribble.TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.hasIndex(TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.java:228)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.FeatureDataSource.<init>(FeatureDataSource.java:263)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.FeatureManager.addToFeatureSources(FeatureManager.java:234)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.MultiVariantWalker.lambda$initializeDrivingVariants$0(MultiVariantWalker.java:73)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.MultiVariantWalker$$Lambda$69/1189187821.accept(Unknown Source)
... 12 more
---------------------
Could you tell me the how to combine the 600 g.vcf files?
Have I use the more cpus?

Thanks in advance.

Meganejin