Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

GATK3.8 vs GATK4.1 - ready for analysis BAM-files

medgenmedgen NorwayMember

I have seen discussions indicating that it is not good to combine GATK 3.8 vs 4.1 intermediate pipeline-steps;
I have saved several recalibrated "ready-for-analysis" bamfiles (v3.8 -after printreads), and have produced several new ones ("ready-for-analysis") with ApplyBSQR (GATK 4.1).
a) is it OK to use Hapotypecaller on both these "ready-for-analysis" 3.8- and 4.1-generated bam-files and make g.vcf-files that can be combined in a common vcf-file?
b) I also have many 3.8-g.vcfs; Is it OK to combine g.vcf-files produced by haplotypecaller v.3.8 With recent g.vcfs With haplotypecaller v4.1?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• medgenmedgen NorwayMember

Thanks. But concerning combining 3.8 and 4.1 g.vcfs; does "might cause errors"- mean that if I do not get an error message in the process of combining them it is probably OK? If not I go back to the bam-files and do the work once more to be sure ;-)

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

@medgen

That is correct.