Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

IO Error while running MergeBamAlignment on Terra

lraolrao Member

Hello,

I'm currently running a sample through snapshot 8 of the "processing-for-variant-discovery-gatk4" workflow on Terra, and I'm consistently hitting the following error on the MergeBamAlignment step:

INFO 2019-07-02 03:36:35 AbstractAlignmentMerger Merged 375,000,000 records. Elapsed time: 02:27:06s. Time for last 1,000,000: 23s. Last read position: chr8:137,530,448
INFO 2019-07-02 03:36:35 AbstractAlignmentMerger 24457599 Reads have been unmapped due to being suspected of being Cross-species contamination.
[Tue Jul 02 03:36:52 UTC 2019] picard.sam.MergeBamAlignment done. Elapsed time: 147.42 minutes.
Runtime.totalMemory()=7337410560
To get help, see http://broadinstitute.github.io/picard/index.html#GettingHelp
htsjdk.samtools.util.RuntimeIOException: Write error; BinaryCodec in writemode; streamed file (filename not available)
at htsjdk.samtools.util.BinaryCodec.writeBytes(BinaryCodec.java:222)
at htsjdk.samtools.util.BlockCompressedOutputStream.writeGzipBlock(BlockCompressedOutputStream.java:429)
at htsjdk.samtools.util.BlockCompressedOutputStream.deflateBlock(BlockCompressedOutputStream.java:392)
at htsjdk.samtools.util.BlockCompressedOutputStream.write(BlockCompressedOutputStream.java:291)
at htsjdk.samt

A few notes:
1. I've tried increasing the java_opt and mem_size inputs of MergeBamAlignment to "-Xms7000m" and "7500 MB" respectively. Unsurprisingly, this didn't work, as the error seems to be in writing the output of MergeBamAlignment.
2. I've shared the workspace "pd-wgs-workspace" in the project "pd-wgs-project" with the FireCloud support group. The offending sample is "HDF111iPS501_D0_r1".
3. Attached is the full stderr log.

Thank you!
Lee

Answers