Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

MarkDuplicatesSpark argument conflict?

devansdevans Vancouver, BCMember

I am trying to set up a processing pipeline for comparison/backup purposes for a commercial all-in-one fq-to-vcf piece of hardware, so I am reusing some of our data from our original verification with bwa/samtools/gatk.

I have aligned some Illumina reads with bwa mem (0.7.17) which I piped through samtools (1.9) to make a BAM file:
bwa mem -t 40 -T 50 -M -R '@RG\tID:3140_01\tSM:3140_01\tLB:ReadGrpLibrary\tPL:ILLUMINA' /genomes/human/GRCh37/GRCh37-lite.fa 3140_01_S1_R1_001.fastq.gz 3140_01_S1_R2_001.fastq.gz | samtools view -b -h -q 30 -O bam [email protected] 40 -o 3140_01.bam -

This runs without error.

The tooldoc for MarkDuplicatesSpark gives the following usage example:

MarkDuplicatesSpark run locally specifying the removal of sequencing duplicates and tagging OpticalDuplicates

gatk MarkDuplicatesSpark \ -I input.bam \ -O marked_duplicates.bam \ --remove-sequencing-duplicates \ --duplicate-tagging-policy OpticalOnly

But when the following command runs:

java -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_read_samtools=false -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_samtools=true -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_tribble=false -Dsamjdk.compression_level=2 -jar ./gatk-4.1.2.0/gatk-package-4.1.2.0-local.jar MarkDuplicatesSpark -I 3140_01.bam -O 3140_01_markdup.bam --remove-sequencing-duplicates --duplicate-tagging-policy OpticalOnly --conf spark.executor.cores=40 -M 3140_01_dupmetrics.txt

I get the following error:

A USER ERROR has occurred: Argument 'duplicate-tagging-policy' cannot be used in conjunction with argument(s) remove-sequencing-duplicates

What am I missing? Is that error indicative of a preprocessing error on my part, or is there actually a conflict between those two arguments?

Best Answers

• devansdevans Vancouver, BC
    Accepted Answer

Yes, removing duplicates is necessary for our purposes, so that's what we'll do.

Thanks for the input! Glad to have a resolution to this.

Answers

• devansdevans Vancouver, BCMember

An additional piece of info: when I take out --duplicate-tagging-policy OpticalOnly it runs without error and creates a BAM file.

• devansdevans Vancouver, BCMember
    Accepted Answer

Yes, removing duplicates is necessary for our purposes, so that's what we'll do.

Thanks for the input! Glad to have a resolution to this.