Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

how to use gatk to analysis multi samples at different tumor phase? GenotypeGVCFs or Mutect2

Hello, I am a fresh in gatk, I got some samples from different patient at different phase. for exmaple:
normal phase : 1 patient sample
tumor phase1 : 9 patient samples
tumor phase2 : 7 patient samples
tumor phase3 : 10 patient samples

I went to attain the specific variants at different phases, by reading the gatk best practice, I have finished joint calling to each phase (CombineGVCFs+GenotypeGVCFs) .

#samples is different phase sample
sample_gvcfs=""
for sample in $samples ; do 
    sample_gvcfs=${sample_gvcfs}"-V $outdir/${sample}/gatk/${sample}.HC.g.vcf.gz \\"\n
done
time $gatk CombineGVCFs \
    -R $reference/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta \
    ${sample_gvcfs} \
    -O $outdir/population/${outname}.HC.g.vcf.gz && echo "** ${outname}.HC.g.vcf.gz done ** " && \
time $gatk GenotypeGVCFs \
    -R $reference/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta \
    -V $outdir/population/${outname}.HC.g.vcf.gz \
    -O $outdir/population/${outname}.HC.vcf.gz && echo "** ${outname}.HC.vcf.gz done ** "

I get two questions following:

1.After getting vcf and using hard filter, I found there is still too much varients, how can I remove more unrelated variants ? (may be I can use normal sample to filter more varient, is there any tools?)

2.Mutect2 in gatk is the better choice in this situation ?

Any help will be appreciated !

Best Answers

Answers