Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

What is the correct syntax for intervals for multiple chromosomes using the -L flag

Hi,

I've previously defined intervals using the -L flag with HaplotypeCaller for say -L chr1 for chromosome 1, and -L chr1 and -L chr2 for chromosome 1 and chromosome 2. What is the syntax for putting this both into the same interval?

I was trying to follow the idea in Table 2 in Performance benchmarking of GATK3.8 and GATK4, DOI:10.1101/348565 of Chunking of the genome by chromosomes, but I couldn't follow the documentation here: software.broadinstitute.org/gatk/documentation/article?id=4133 as to how to actually do that.

Many thanks,

Alistair

Answers

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @AlistairB

You can use it is this way: -L chr1,chr2

• AlistairBAlistairB Member
    Hi Bhanu,

Thank you for your reply. I'm pretty sure I tried comma separation, as well as tabs, colons, semi-colons, spaces and brackets, but I'll try it again when the current job has finished. I forgot to say that I'm using the latest docker container to run GATK. And I've been trying to follow the GATK Best Practices.

My follow up question would be - and I've only started using GATK this year - is that I come across several gaps in the documentation so far, such as the change to VariantRecalibrator from --resource hapmap, to --resource:hapmap,, and was wondering if community members are able to contribute to updating the documentation somehow?

All the best,

Alistair
  • bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @AlistairB

Can you please point me to the VariantRecalibrator doc you are reffering to.

• AlistairBAlistairB Member
    Ah, I think it's my mistake. I must have accidentally strayed into the beta documentation via Google instead of going through the sidebar on the GATK site:

I'm not allowed to post links, but the end of the path is: documentation/tooldocs/4.beta.4/org_broadinstitute_hellbender_tools_walkers_vqsr_VariantRecalibrator.php
  • shatha92shatha92 Member
    Hi Alistair,
    I was struggling like you until I found a solution, try running the command with -L chr1 -L chr2...
    thanks to Ms Sheila.
    Regards