Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Core dump when using GATK 3.7 haplotyper

I'm using gatk 3.7, java 1.8, human genome. For specific regions I'm using ploidy more than 2 due to specific aim of the question.

/usr/bin/java -Xmx10G -jar /mnt/mfs/hgrcgrid/shared/softwares/GenomeAnalysisTK-3.7/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T HaplotypeCaller -R CR1_region1.ploidy_6.fa -I washei36472_ploidy6CR1region1.bam -L CR1_region1.expanded.bed --sample_ploidy 6 --genotyping_mode DISCOVERY --emitRefConfidence GVCF --dontUseSoftClippedBases -o washei36472.3CR1region1.g.vcf

Sorry, I can't quote/highlight text for code and error using github text guidelines. GATK forum didn't allow me to post link, maybe because my account is new.

I tried with 6G, 3G, 10G, 8G. The input bam and bed files are less than 1MB individually, I don't know what's the problem and how to fix it. If I use -nct flag either the error persists. I'm working on cluster node with 15G of memory, so I can easliy provide below 10G when running GATK.

Error log on screen:

Using AVX accelerated implementation of PairHMM
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00002b17edc60ce9, pid=30033, tid=0x00002b178ef5c700
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_151-b12) (build 1.8.0_151-8u151-b12-1~deb9u1-b12)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.151-b12 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [libVectorLoglessPairHMM8627199239981386149.so+0x1bce9] LoadTimeInitializer::LoadTimeInitializer()+0x1669
#
# Core dump written. Default location: /mnt/mfs/hgrcgrid/shared/GT_ADMIX/INDEL_comparisons/sequencing_projects/darkgenome/internal_pipeline/align_CR1exons/core or core.30033
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /mnt/mfs/hgrcgrid/shared/GT_ADMIX/INDEL_comparisons/sequencing_projects/darkgenome/internal_pipeline/align_CR1exons/hs_err_pid30033.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers