Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

large drop in variants in GATK 4.1.0.0 Mutect2

igorigor New YorkMember ✭✭

I recently switched to GATK 4.1.0.0. I ran Mutect2 on a small (~1Mb) targeted panel. I am using a normal control that is not the same individual (basically to exclude technical artifacts), so I do expect to see more variants than with a proper matched normal. I was getting around 100-300 variants per sample with GATK 4.0.6.0. I am still roughly in the same range for some samples, but for some I am getting 0.

The problem seems to be at the FilterMutectCalls stage where I am seeing the following error:

[March 19, 2019 10:43:17 PM EDT] org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.FilterMutectCalls done. Elapsed time: 0.04 minutes.
Runtime.totalMemory()=8851030016
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: errorRate must be good probability but got NaN
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.Utils.validateArg(Utils.java:730)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.QualityUtils.errorProbToQual(QualityUtils.java:227)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.QualityUtils.errorProbToQual(QualityUtils.java:211)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.Mutect2FilteringEngine.applyContaminationFilter(Mutect2FilteringEngine.java:79)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.Mutect2FilteringEngine.calculateFilters(Mutect2FilteringEngine.java:518)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.FilterMutectCalls.firstPassApply(FilterMutectCalls.java:130)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.TwoPassVariantWalker.lambda$traverseVariants$0(TwoPassVariantWalker.java:76)
    at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(ForEachOps.java:184)
    at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:175)
    at java.util.Iterator.forEachRemaining(Iterator.java:116)
    at java.util.Spliterators$IteratorSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Spliterators.java:1801)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
    at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:151)
    at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:174)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
    at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:418)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.TwoPassVariantWalker.traverseVariants(TwoPassVariantWalker.java:74)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.TwoPassVariantWalker.traverse(TwoPassVariantWalker.java:27)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.doWork(GATKTool.java:966)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:138)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:191)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:210)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:162)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:205)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:291)

Do you know what may be causing this problem?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers