Heads up:
We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

ERROR Stack trace: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "2520503224"

bmlettbmlett Member
Hi-

I am working with GenomeSTRiP v2.0 on some bovine samples. Java is version 1.8.0_201. I created my own reference ploidy map as discussed on the Reference Genome Metadata page using the locations from my reference index:

```
X 139009144 2520503224 F 2
X 139009144 2520503224 M 1
Y 43300181 2661249986 F 0
Y 43300181 2661249986 M 1
```

However, I a running into this error:

```
##### ERROR stack trace
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "2520503224"
at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException. java:65)
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:583)
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:615)
at org.broadinstitute.sv.metadata.ploidy.PloidyMap.parsePloidyMapFile(Pl oidyMap.java:252)
at org.broadinstitute.sv.metadata.ploidy.PloidyMap.open(PloidyMap.java:5 5)
at org.broadinstitute.sv.metadata.depth.ComputeReadDepthCoverageWalker.i nitialize(ComputeReadDepthCoverageWalker.java:131)
at org.broadinstitute.sv.metadata.ComputeMetadataWalker.initialize(Compu teMetadataWalker.java:202)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.executive.LinearMicroScheduler.execute (LinearMicroScheduler.java:83)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.GenomeAnalysisEngine.execute(GenomeAna lysisEngine.java:316)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.CommandLineExecutable.execute(CommandL ineExecutable.java:123)
at org.broadinstitute.sv.main.SVCommandLine.execute(SVCommandLine.java:1 41)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(Co mmandLineProgram.java:256)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(Co mmandLineProgram.java:158)
at org.broadinstitute.sv.main.SVCommandLine.main(SVCommandLine.java:91)
at org.broadinstitute.sv.main.SVCommandLine.main(SVCommandLine.java:65)
##### ERROR -------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------
```

I am not sure if this is an exception based on my ploidy map or a format issue with java and the size of the integer.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Beth
(I apologize for any format issues)

Answers

• bhandsakerbhandsaker Member, Broadie ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure it is the magnitude of the integer. Those are pretty big chromosomes!
    Is this correct? I see that the Bos taurus genome is about 2.6 gigabases in total.

While it would be relatively easy to fix this particular case, I believe there are many places in Genome STRiP where correctly handling individual chromosomes larger than 2Gb would require code changes.

• bmlettbmlett Member
    Hi-

You are most likely correct that there was an error in my chromosome size! I am not 100% sure where I found the end sizes but I believe the issue was that the start should be 1 and the end value is what I listed as a start. Changing this seems to have allowed that step to start without errors.

Thank you!