Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

GATK 4.1.0.0 Mutect2 error with gnomAD AF file

nberlow22nberlow22 Member
edited March 7 in Ask the GATK team
I'm running into an error when running GATK 4.1.0.0 with the following call:

java -Xmx16g -jar ${gatkDir}/GATK.jar Mutect2 -R ${GRC}.fa -I ${TU}.recal.bam -tumor TU -I ${NM}.recal.bam -normal NM --native-pair-hmm-threads $threads --germline-resource $gnomad --af-of-alleles-not-in-resource 0.0000025 -O ${sampleName}.mutect.UF.vcf --tmp-dir temp

The error is as follows:

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(ArrayList.java:657)
at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:433)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.GermlineProbabilityCalculator.lambda$getGermlineAltAlleleFrequencies$3(GermlineProbabilityCalculator.java:55)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$6$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:244)
at java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1382)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:545)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluateToArrayNode(AbstractPipeline.java:260)
at java.util.stream.DoublePipeline.toArray(DoublePipeline.java:506)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.GermlineProbabilityCalculator.getGermlineAltAlleleFrequencies(GermlineProbabilityCalculator.java:57)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.GermlineProbabilityCalculator.getNegativeLog10PopulationAFAnnotation(GermlineProbabilityCalculator.java:29)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.SomaticGenotypingEngine.callMutations(SomaticGenotypingEngine.java:165)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.Mutect2Engine.callRegion(Mutect2Engine.java:233)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.Mutect2.apply(Mutect2.java:232)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.AssemblyRegionWalker.processReadShard(AssemblyRegionWalker.java:291)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.AssemblyRegionWalker.traverse(AssemblyRegionWalker.java:267)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.doWork(GATKTool.java:966)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:138)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:191)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:210)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:162)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:205)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:291)

I have seen errors like this listed before on the forums relating to the AF file. I removed the file, and it was able to successfully run. The AF file is af-only-gnomad.filtered.hg38.vcf.gz

However, the above function call with the AF file runs correctly on GATK 4.0.10.1 with no errors and completes successfully.

The AF file is formatted as follows:

#CHROM POS ID REF ALT QUAL FILTER INFO
1 10067 . T TAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCC 30.35 PASS .
1 10108 . CAACCCT C 46514.3 PASS .
1 10109 . AACCCT A 89837.3 PASS .
1 10114 . TAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCCTAACCCTAACCCTAAACCCTA CAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAACCCCTAACCCTAACCCTAAACCCTA,T 36729 PASS .
1 10119 . CT C 251.23 PASS .
1 10120 . T C 14928.7 PASS .
1 10128 . ACCCTAACCCTAACCCTAAC A 285.71 PASS .
1 10131 . CT C 378.93 PASS .

Any thoughts as to what the error could be?

Thank you!
Post edited by nberlow22 on

Answers

• davidbendavidben BostonMember, Broadie, Dev ✭✭✭

@nberlow22 Could you try running this with the 4.1.1 release? I believe we fixed this bug.

Also, --af-of-alleles-not-in-resource is no longer necessary.

• minghao_liminghao_li Member
    edited April 12
    @davidben I'm not the OP but I'm still getting the same error even on 4.1.1.0

@minghao_li Could you share your command line, which reference you are using, and the stack trace?

• minghao_liminghao_li Member
    edited April 15
    @davidben The command I used is as follows:
    gatk Mutect2 -R ref.fa -I tumor.bam -tumor tumor -I normal.bam -normal normal --germline-resource gnomad.vcf -default-af 0.00003125 -O somatic.vcf

The reference I'm using is a personalized version of hg19. Similar to OP, the exact same command runs without issue on 4.0.10.1.

Here's the error, seems identical to the one OP encountered:

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
    at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(ArrayList.java:657)
    at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:433)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.SomaticGenotypingEngine.lambda$getGermlineAltAlleleFrequencies$31(SomaticGenotypingEngine.java:354)
    at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$6$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:244)
    at java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1382)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:545)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluateToArrayNode(AbstractPipeline.java:260)
    at java.util.stream.DoublePipeline.toArray(DoublePipeline.java:506)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.SomaticGenotypingEngine.getGermlineAltAlleleFrequencies(SomaticGenotypingEngine.java:356)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.SomaticGenotypingEngine.getNegativeLog10PopulationAFAnnotation(SomaticGenotypingEngine.java:339)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.SomaticGenotypingEngine.callMutations(SomaticGenotypingEngine.java:145)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.Mutect2Engine.callRegion(Mutect2Engine.java:255)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.Mutect2.apply(Mutect2.java:324)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.AssemblyRegionWalker.processReadShard(AssemblyRegionWalker.java:299)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.AssemblyRegionWalker.traverse(AssemblyRegionWalker.java:272)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.doWork(GATKTool.java:984)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:138)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:191)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:210)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:162)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:205)
    at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:291)

@minghao_li Where does your gnomad.vcf come from? We recommend the AF-only gnomad from the GATK best practices bucket: gs://gatk-best-practices/somatic-b37/af-only-gnomad.raw.sites.vcf