Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.
Attention:
We will be out of the office on November 11th and 13th 2019, due to the U.S. holiday(Veteran's day) and due to a team event(Nov 13th). We will return to monitoring the GATK forum on November 12th and 14th respectively. Thank you for your patience.

Using CAVA-Annotated VCF file for VariantsToTable

Hi all,

I have generated a VCF file via the 5 dollar genome analysis pipeline. Then I used a script called CAVA (https://tinyurl.com/y6bjhskc) to annotate the variants in my VCF file. CAVA added some 18 extra ##INFO lines to the beginning of the VCF file. And added extra info into the INFO column for each variant, as shown below. I wanted to try and use the VariantsToTable function in the GATK toolbox. I tested with GATK v3.3. I am getting the error of:

ERROR MESSAGE: Your input file has a malformed header: unexpected tag count 6 in line <ID=TYPE,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Variant type: Substitution, Insertion, Deletion or Complex",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">

VCF file:

##fileformat=VCFv4.2
##fileDate=2019-03-04
##INFO=<ID=TYPE,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Variant type: Substitution, Insertion, Deletion or Complex",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=GENE,Number=.,Type=String,Description="HGNC gene symbol",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=TRANSCRIPT,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Transcript identifier",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=GENEID,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Gene identifier",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=TRINFO,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Transcript information: Strand/Length of transcript/Number of exons/Length of coding DNA + UTR/Protein length",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=LOC,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Location of variant in transcript",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=CSN,Number=.,Type=String,Description="CSN annotation",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=PROTPOS,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Protein position",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=PROTREF,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Reference amino acids",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=PROTALT,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Alternate amino acids",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=CLASS,Number=.,Type=String,Description="5PU: Variant in 5 prime untranslated region, 3PU: Variant in 3 prime untranslated region, INT: Intronic variant that does not alter splice site bases, SS: Intronic variant that alters a splice site base but not an ESS or SS5 base, ESS: Variant that alters essential splice site base (+1,+2,-1,-2), SS5: Variant that alters the +5 splice site base, but not an ESS base, SY: Synonymous change caused by a base substitution (i.e. does not alter amino acid), NSY: Nonsynonymous change (missense) caused by a base substitution (i.e. alters amino acid), IF: Inframe insertion and/or deletion (variant alters the length of coding sequence but not the frame), IM: Variant that alters the start codon, SG: Variant resulting in stop-gain (nonsense) mutation, SL: Variant resulting in stop-loss mutation, FS: Frameshifting insertion and/or deletion (variant alters the length and frame of coding sequence), EE: Inframe deletion, insertion or base substitution which affects the first or last three bases of the exon",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=SO,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Sequence Ontology term",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=ALTFLAG,Number=.,Type=String,Description="None: variant has the same CSN annotation regardless of its left or right-alignment, AnnNotClass/AnnNotSO/AnnNotClassNotSO: indel has an alternative CSN but the same CLASS and/or SO, AnnAndClass/AnnAndSO/AnnAndClassNotSO/AnnAndSONotClass/AnnAndClassAndSO: Multiple CSN with different CLASS and/or SO annotations",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=ALTANN,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Alternate CSN annotation",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=ALTCLASS,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Alternate CLASS annotation",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=ALTSO,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Alternate SO annotation",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=IMPACT,Number=.,Type=String,Description="Impact group the variant is stratified into",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">
##INFO=<ID=DBSNP,Number=.,Type=String,Description="rsID from dbSNP",Source="CAVA",Version="1.2.2">

CHROM   POS ID  REF ALT QUAL    FILTER  INFO    FORMAT  NA12878
chr1    21840336    .   T   C   40.74   PASS    AC=2;AF=1.00;AN=2;DP=2;ExcessHet=3.0103;FS=0.000;MLEAC=2;MLEAF=1.00;MQ=60.00;QD=20.37;SOR=2.303;TYPE=Substitution;TRANSCRIPT=ENST00000374840;GENE=ALPL;GENEID=ENSG00000162551;TRINFO=+/69.0kb/12/2.6kb/524;LOC=In1/2;CSN=c.-105+4326T>C;PROTPOS=.;PROTREF=.;PROTALT=.;CLASS=5PU;SO=5_prime_UTR_variant;IMPACT=3;ALTANN=.;ALTCLASS=.;ALTSO=. GT:AD:DP:GQ:PL  1/1:0,2:2:6:68,6,0

Is there a simple solution you guys can see to the problem? I could remove all the extra lines manually for now but in the future for automation purposes I wanted to skip having a parser or parser-like script in between.

And secondly, I also wanted to ask whether it would be possible to retrieve the extra info added by CAVA into the INFO column via the VariantsToTable? Such as "GENE=" or "GENEID=" that does not exist in the original VCF file.

Thanks for your time and help.

Answers