Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

GATK4.1.0.0's VariantRecalibrator resource format differs from GATK4.0.11.0?

xiuczxiucz Member
edited March 1 in Ask the GATK team

Hi,
When I used GATK4.1.0.0 to vqsr, I found it reported the error, but I tried the beta version GATK4.0.11.0, it ran well.
And the input VCF file I used was produced by the old tool CombineGVCFs and GenotypeGVCFs with gvcfs. I do not use GenomicsDBImport, because it is really slow for me.
gatk4.0.11.0

~/gatk-4.0.11.0/gatk --java-options '-Xmx20G -DGATK_STACKTRACE_ON_USER_EXCEPTION=true' VariantRecalibrator \
-R ~/database/hg19/ucsc.hg19.fasta \
-V ~/test.raw.vcf \
-resource hapmap,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=15.0:~/GATK_hg19/hapmap_3.3.hg19.sites.vcf \
-an QD -an FS -an SOR -an MQ -an MQRankSum -an ReadPosRankSum \
-mode SNP \
-tranche 100.0 -tranche 99.9 -tranche 99.0 -tranche 90.0 \
-O out/recalibrate_SNP.recal \
--tranches-file out/test.recalibrate_SNP.tranches \
--rscript-file out/test.recalibrate_SNP_plots.R

gatk4.1.0.0

~/gatk-4.0.11.0/gatk --java-options '-Xmx20G -DGATK_STACKTRACE_ON_USER_EXCEPTION=true' VariantRecalibrator \
-R ~/database/hg19/ucsc.hg19.fasta \
-V ~/test.raw.vcf \
-resource hapmap,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=15.0:~/GATK_hg19/hapmap_3.3.hg19.sites.vcf \
-an QD -an FS -an SOR -an MQ -an MQRankSum -an ReadPosRankSum \
-mode SNP \
-tranche 100.0 -tranche 99.9 -tranche 99.0 -tranche 90.0 \
-O out/recalibrate_SNP.recal \
--tranches-file out/test.recalibrate_SNP.tranches \
--rscript-file out/test.recalibrate_SNP_plots.R

Error:

A USER ERROR has occurred: Couldn't read file file:/// ./out/code/hapmap,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=15.0:~/GATK_hg19/hapmap_3.3.hg19.sites.vcf. Error was: It doesn't exist.

But the resource file really exists here. I don't know how to resolve it, or GATK4.1.0.0 dose not support the the old combine gvcfs way any longer?

Best Answer

Answers

• xiuczxiucz Member

I find another question, when I use GenomicsDBImport tool, it produces lots of json files in /tmp dir, causing a warning of "cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on device". Can I specify some parameters to avoid the terrible problem ?

• xiuczxiucz Member

@AdelaideR thank you for your useful links, which really helped me. And for the second question, I run GATK on my local machine, I will try a docker later, thank you again.