Holiday Notice:
The Frontline Support team will be offline February 18 for President's Day but will be back February 19th. Thank you for your patience as we get to all of your questions!

Are there explanations for the files found in the picard/testdata/picard/sam/ directory?

I've been thinking of compiling a set of test SAM files, and I stumbled onto this directory. Some of these look like exactly what I'm trying to make (with a few modifications), but I'm wondering what the intention of these files is, whether there are explanations for them, and/or whether they're free to use?

Answers

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @jasminrizko,

I believe you are referring to files in the broadinstitute/picard GitHub repository. Our developers use these files for various tests to ensure code behaves as expected and gives appropriate error messages when needed. They are public and free for you to use. Any explanation for them would be limited to what is in the repository and in the metadata portion of the files themselves, e.g. the SAM header @ lines. You may wish to search for tests in which the files are used for additional clues.