Holiday Notice:
The Frontline Support team will be offline February 18 for President's Day but will be back February 19th. Thank you for your patience as we get to all of your questions!

SelectVariants Starts Traversal but Does not Progress, High CPU Usage

Hi,

I am using the GATK tool SelectVariants to only select variants that have passed FilterMutectCalls. Both FilterMutectCalls and Mutect2 were run in multi-sample mode, so the VCF being input to SelectVariants is multisample. The GATK version is 4.1.0.0, HTSJDK Version 2.18.2, and Picard Version: 2.18.25.

The issue is the SelectVariants tool begins the traversal of the VCF, but does not make any progress. The log file stalls out as shown:
09:52:57.790 INFO SelectVariants - Done initializing engine 09:52:57.967 INFO ProgressMeter - Starting traversal 09:52:57.967 INFO ProgressMeter - Current Locus Elapsed Minutes Variants Processed Variants/Minute

This is the last line logged at which point the CPU usage jumps precipitously. I have alloted 10G of memory for the job and 1 hour of run-time, but there is till no progress.

The exact command I am using is:
$gatk_launcher --java-options -Xmx${mem}g SelectVariants \ -R $reference \ --variant $input_fn \ --output $output_fn \ --exclude-filtered true &>> $log_file

I ran ValidateVariants on the VCF in question, and all records validated. The size of the VCF is 18.7M, although I have been able to run the same command succesfully on larger multi-sample VCFs with the same command.

I have attached a subset of the records from the VCF that failed.

For now, I have circumvented the issue with a grep, but I figured I would point it out nonetheless.

Thank you!

Answers