Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

ComparableSamRecordIterator related error when running Mutect2

:) Hello GATK team,

I'm getting the error pasted below when running Mutect2 (gatk 4.0.10.0). My bam files (normal and tumour) pass the validation run as:

```
gatk ValidateSamFile -I aligned.sorted.bam
```

with the exception of the header version which I don't know wether is relevant to Mutect2

```
ERROR: Header version: 1.6 does not match any of the acceptable versions: 1.0, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5
```

This the full Mutect2 error message. Any help to get Mutect2 running will be appreciated.

Thanks so much
Jorge

```
java.lang.NullPointerException
at htsjdk.samtools.ComparableSamRecordIterator.compareTo(ComparableSamRecordIterator.java:68)
at htsjdk.samtools.ComparableSamRecordIterator.compareTo(ComparableSamRecordIterator.java:36)
at java.util.PriorityQueue.siftUpComparable(PriorityQueue.java:657)
at java.util.PriorityQueue.siftUp(PriorityQueue.java:648)
at java.util.PriorityQueue.offer(PriorityQueue.java:345)
at htsjdk.samtools.MergingSamRecordIterator.addIfNotEmpty(MergingSamRecordIterator.java:162)
at htsjdk.samtools.MergingSamRecordIterator.<init>(MergingSamRecordIterator.java:95)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.ReadsDataSource.prepareIteratorsForTraversal(ReadsDataSource.java:421)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.ReadsDataSource.iterator(ReadsDataSource.java:330)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.MultiIntervalLocalReadShard.iterator(MultiIntervalLocalReadShard.java:134)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.AssemblyRegionIterator.<init>(AssemblyRegionIterator.java:109)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.AssemblyRegionWalker.processReadShard(AssemblyRegionWalker.java:282)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.AssemblyRegionWalker.traverse(AssemblyRegionWalker.java:267)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.doWork(GATKTool.java:966)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:139)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:192)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:211)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:160)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:203)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:289)
```
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jorgezjorgez
    Accepted Answer
    :)
    Hi,

I'll answer to myself.

The error was caused by the header version ( 1.6) not matching any of the acceptable versions (1.0, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5).

This seem be fixed by adding the HD string when mapping with bwa mem like this:

```
    bwa mem -H '@HD\\tVN:1.5\\tGO:none\\tSO:coordinate'
    ````

Jorge

Answers

• jorgezjorgez Member
    Accepted Answer
    :)
    Hi,

I'll answer to myself.

The error was caused by the header version ( 1.6) not matching any of the acceptable versions (1.0, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5).

This seem be fixed by adding the HD string when mapping with bwa mem like this:

```
    bwa mem -H '@HD\\tVN:1.5\\tGO:none\\tSO:coordinate'
    ````

Jorge