Attention:
The frontline support team will be unavailable to answer questions on April 15th and 17th 2019. We will be back soon after. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience!

Indel through to AminoAcid change

Hello
I am paused at a part in my project of analysing a genome from a rare neurological presentation (extremely rare- prevalence of only a few in the literature). The rare part being the symptom which is visual in nature, the neuroradiological etiology being very common in neurological disorders- white matter degradation.
Ive found a gene of particular interest. The mutations in this gene are all indels.
To ascertain whether its pathological i need to work out if the change leads to a loss or gain of a cysteine residue within one of the EGFRs of NOTCH3 extracellular domain.
Ive found 7 mutations within the 23 exons which code for the epidermal growth factor-like repeat domains, im wondering if someone could please give me an indication as to how i advance further on this to work out if they lead to a loss or gain of cysteine residue.
Thanks
Mikey

Answers

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

HI @Mikey

In this forum we tackle specific GATK usage related questions. I am afraid I can not help you with an experimental design question unless it is related to GATK. Apologies.

Regards
    Bhanu

• MikeyMikey Member

Sure no problem Bhanu. Thanks for your answer, is there anywhere you can suggest i can post this question too?

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @Mikey

You could try Seqanswers and Biostar forums for genomics experimental design questions.

• SkyWarriorSkyWarrior TurkeyMember ✭✭✭

I will give a brief answer though it is not GATK related but I will redirect you to possible direction.

1- Use Ensembl VEP. Upload your variants to VEP web interface and get proper annotation.
    2- Once you get your annotations go back to your bam and vcf file for visual check.
    3- Use Varsome at any place where you cannot decide if that variant is potentially disease causing or not.
    4- Never forget to check ACMG criteria to judge your variants in terms of pathogenicity. Not an ultimate source but at least gives you an idea where to go.
    5- Check the nature of the mutations and see if they would fit the molecular mechanism underlying the disease. (e.g. expecting gain of function but a total loss of function is present or a potential dominant negative effect is expected but you have a gain of function? Maybe the mutation is in a mutation hot spot or not etc... Don't forget potential splice effects of synonymous ones.)