Holiday Notice:
The Frontline Support team will be slow to respond December 17-18 due to an institute-wide retreat and offline December 22- January 1, while the institute is closed. Thank you for your patience during these next few weeks. Happy Holidays!

After SplitNCigarReads, does the separated reads both labeled as primary alignment?

jzhongzyjzhongzy Phoenix,AZMember

Hi, I am doing RNAseq and use STAR for alignment, I am wondering in such situation, a read overlapping the junction site, when I use the SplitNCigarReads operation, it separate the read to two; for these two separated reads, do they both got relabeled as primary alignment (which make more sense) or still secondary alignment for sequence on the right side?

Thanks a lot?

Jason

Answers

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Member, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @jzhongzy

SplitNCigarReads will create a primary alignment from the left-most part of the read, and supplementary alignments (not secondary) from the remaining parts. SplitNCigarReads will ignore secondary alignments unless you pass
    --process-secondary-alignments true
    . Since specification of primary vs supplementary alignments is somewhat arbitrary for chimeric reads, downstream tools should treat all the reads equally.