Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Multi-sample SNP and indel calling and Outliers

Hi, I was wondering if you have any advice on the effects of including samples of different ancestry in the multiple sample variant calling. We run PCA after calling variants to identify any potential outliers. In case of identifying one, do we have to re-do the SNP and Indel calling step?

Any help most appreciated.

regards,

Tagged:

Best Answer

• ebanksebanks Broad Institute ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

If you are sure that the sample is truly of different ancestry (and not mis-processed or contaminated) then there are no problems (the outliers won't affect the calls of the cohort in any meaningful way). Even if the outlying samples are mis-processed/contaminated it should be okay, except that I would make sure that there's no systematic problem affecting all samples that only happens to be significant in the outliers.

Answers

• ebanksebanks Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Dev ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

If you are sure that the sample is truly of different ancestry (and not mis-processed or contaminated) then there are no problems (the outliers won't affect the calls of the cohort in any meaningful way). Even if the outlying samples are mis-processed/contaminated it should be okay, except that I would make sure that there's no systematic problem affecting all samples that only happens to be significant in the outliers.