The current GATK version is 3.8-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get notifications!


You can opt in to receive email notifications, for example when your questions get answered or when there are new announcements, by following the instructions given here.

Got a problem?


1. Search using the upper-right search box, e.g. using the error message.
2. Try the latest version of tools.
3. Include tool and Java versions.
4. Tell us whether you are following GATK Best Practices.
5. Include relevant details, e.g. platform, DNA- or RNA-Seq, WES (+capture kit) or WGS (PCR-free or PCR+), paired- or single-end, read length, expected average coverage, somatic data, etc.
6. For tool errors, include the error stacktrace as well as the exact command.
7. For format issues, include the result of running ValidateSamFile for BAMs or ValidateVariants for VCFs.
8. For weird results, include an illustrative example, e.g. attach IGV screenshots according to Article#5484.
9. For a seeming variant that is uncalled, include results of following Article#1235.

Did we ask for a bug report?


Then follow instructions in Article#1894.

Formatting tip!


Wrap blocks of code, error messages and BAM/VCF snippets--especially content with hashes (#)--with lines with three backticks ( ``` ) each to make a code block as demonstrated here.

Jump to another community
Download the latest Picard release at https://github.com/broadinstitute/picard/releases.
GATK version 4.beta.3 (i.e. the third beta release) is out. See the GATK4 beta page for download and details.

Can compression of VCFs (when specifying output file as .vcf.gz) be improved?

This is not a bug per se in that it does not cause incorrect output, but I think it would be accurately described as an "unintended consequence" of very poorly compressed VCF output files.

GATK allows for output VCF files to be written using Picard's BlockCompressedOutputStream when the the output file is specified with the extension .vcf.gz, which I consider to be very good behavior. However, I noticed after doing some minor external manipulation that the files produced this way are "suboptimally" compressed. By suboptimal, I mean that sometimes the files are even larger than the uncompressed VCF files.

Since the problem occurs in GATK-Lite, I was able to look through the source code to see what is going on. From what I can tell, the issue is that VCFWriter calls mWriter.flush() at the end of VCFWriter.add() for each variant. Per the documentation for BlockCompressedOutputStream.flush():

WARNING: flush() affects the output format, because it causes the current contents of uncompressedBuffer to be compressed and written, even if it isn't full.

As a result, instead of the default of blocks of about 64k, the bgzf-formatted .vcf.gz files produced by GATK have blocks for each line. That reduces the amount repetition for gzip to take advantage of. Not being sure what issues led to requiring a call to flush after every variant, I'm not sure how to best address this, but it may be necessary to wrap BlockCompressedOutputStream when used by VCFWriter to catch this flush in order to get effective compression.

Of course, it is possible to simply write the file and then compress it in a separate step, but this leads to disk IO that should be preventable.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

Sign In or Register to comment.