Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

possible bug when running UnifiedGenotyper on Sanger reads

d17d17 Member
edited December 2012 in Ask the GATK team

Hi,

I am trying to run UnifiedGenotyper on ~20 samples sequenced to relatively low coverage (~1-4X) with Sanger reads in yeast. The UG starts out running fine, getting through the first two chromosomes with no problem. Then I get the following error:

##### ERROR stack trace 
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 628 > 398
    at java.util.Arrays.copyOfRange(Arrays.java:3064)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.indels.PairHMMIndelErrorModel.computeGeneralReadHaplotypeLikelihoods(PairHMMIndelErrorModel.java:353)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.indels.PairHMMIndelErrorModel.computeDiploidReadHaplotypeLikelihoods(PairHMMIndelErrorModel.java:197)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.genotyper.IndelGenotypeLikelihoodsCalculationModel.getLikelihoods(IndelGenotypeLikelihoodsCalculationModel.java:127)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.genotyper.UnifiedGenotyperEngine.calculateLikelihoods(UnifiedGenotyperEngine.java:285)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.genotyper.UnifiedGenotyperEngine.calculateLikelihoodsAndGenotypes(UnifiedGenotyperEngine.java:190)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.genotyper.UnifiedGenotyper.map(UnifiedGenotyper.java:346)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.genotyper.UnifiedGenotyper.map(UnifiedGenotyper.java:121)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseLociNano$TraverseLociMap.apply(TraverseLociNano.java:243)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseLociNano$TraverseLociMap.apply(TraverseLociNano.java:231)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.nanoScheduler.NanoScheduler.executeSingleThreaded(NanoScheduler.java:287)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.nanoScheduler.NanoScheduler.execute(NanoScheduler.java:252)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseLociNano.traverse(TraverseLociNano.java:120)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseLociNano.traverse(TraverseLociNano.java:67)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseLociNano.traverse(TraverseLociNano.java:23)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.executive.LinearMicroScheduler.execute(LinearMicroScheduler.java:74)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.execute(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:281)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineExecutable.execute(CommandLineExecutable.java:113)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:236)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:146)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:93)

The arguments I am specifying to GATK are:

-T UnifiedGenotyper -baq RECALCULATE -glm BOTH -stand_call_conf 20.0 -stand_emit_conf 20.0

and of course I specify -I for each of my bam files and the reference with -R.

Any ideas what might be going wrong? Or ideas for how I could narrow down what the problem might be?
For what it's worth, I am using GATK v2.2-8-gec077cd.

Answers