Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

STR annotation

May I know how is this defined?

Best Answer

• delangeldelangel Broad Institute ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

If STR is present in the INFO field, then indel is a tandem repeat. If present, then annotation RU gives a string representing the bases that form the repeat unit, and RPA are the repeats per allele.
    For example, if a (CA)^3 becomes (CA)^4 (2 bp insertion), then STR is present, RU = CA, and RPA = 3,4.

Answers

• delangeldelangel Broad InstituteMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

If STR is present in the INFO field, then indel is a tandem repeat. If present, then annotation RU gives a string representing the bases that form the repeat unit, and RPA are the repeats per allele.
    For example, if a (CA)^3 becomes (CA)^4 (2 bp insertion), then STR is present, RU = CA, and RPA = 3,4.

• ambarrioambarrio Member

Dear @delangel,

I wonder then, if I get a lot of negative values, is this because of STRs that are deletions to the reference genome?

Best

• xiuczxiucz Member

How was the STR flagged in the INFO column? Please see the igvshot, and the mutect2 tumoronly
    output here.

chrX    15349851    .   TA  T   .   PASS    CONTQ=93;DP=26;ECNT=1;GERMQ=18;MBQ=35,36;MFRL=256,222;MMQ=60,60;MPOS=40;POPAF=7.30;RPA=2,1;RU=A;SAAF=0.283,0.273,0.308;SAPP=0.017,0.026,0.957;STR;TLOD=22.22    GT:AD:AF:DP:F1R2:F2R1:OBAM:OBAMRC   0/1:18,8:0.321:26:9,3:9,5:false:false

Thank you.

• xiuczxiucz Member
    edited June 3

Any GATKers can give me some suggestions ?
    Thank you very much.

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @xiucz

Apologies for the delay in replying. In order to clarify, is your question "why the tool flagged this an STR"? Could you also provide a bam and bamout screenshots of this region to compare?

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Also please post the version of Mutect2 used and the exact command.

• xiuczxiucz Member
    edited June 11

Hi, @bhanuGandham

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, my question is "why the tool flagged here an STR"? It seems that there is only one repeated allele.
    Screenshot and commands:

~/gatk-4.1.0.0/gatk Mutect2 \
    -R ~/database/hg19/gatk_bundle/ucsc.hg19.fasta \
    -I ~/sample.recalibrated.bam -tumor samplename \
    -L ~/exon.bed --interval-padding 250 \
    --germline-resource ~/af-only-gnomad.raw.sites.hg19.vcf.gz \
    --tmp-dir ~/tmpdir -O sample.vcf \
    -bamout sample.recalibrated.mt2.bam

~/gatk-4.1.0.0/gatk GetPileupSummaries \
    -I ~/sample.recalibrated.bam \
    -L ~/exon.bed --interval-padding 250 \
    -V ~/small_exac_common_3_hg19.vcf.gz \
    -O sample.tumor.getpileupsummaries.table

~/gatktools/gatk-4.1.0.0/gatk CalculateContamination \
    -I sample.tumor.getpileupsummaries.table \
    -O sample.calculatecontamination.table

~/gatk-4.1.0.0/gatk FilterMutectCalls \
    -V sample.vcf \
    --contamination-table sample.calculatecontamination.table \
    -O sampple.mutect2_oncefilter.vcf

Xiucz

Hi @xiucz

This is what the Mutect2 dev said:
    Only the "slippage" filter (previously "str_contraction"), not the STR INFO, means that M2 rejects a variant. The STR INFO field applies for any indel of one or more units of a repeat, even if, as in this case, there are as few as two repeat units in the reference. M2 would never filter such a short "STR," however. Currently we don't filter for STRs smaller than 8 reference bases, and we don't necessarily filter larger ones. We are about to come out (within two months) with a much-improved polymerase slippage filter.