Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

UnifiedGenotyper ERROR MESSAGE: Trying to clip before the start or after the end of a read

pylpyl Member
edited October 2012 in Ask the GATK team

Hi all,

I observe a curious behavior of the unified genotyper when using 2 bam files to create a VCF file with both samples.

It is an error with the message as shown in the subject, but it only occurs when I process two input bams at the same time (i.e. -I a.bam -I b.bam as parameters) and have -glm BOTH.

With both files and -glm SNP I get no error and with each file separately and -glm BOTH I also don't get the error, but with both files and -glm BOTH it occurs.

It must be the interplay between the two files that causes it and I think both files are valid since they both run fine without errors or warnings when used separately.

I just noticed that it happens when I use the ENSEMBL genome fasta with chromosomes 1..22 X and Y but not If I just give the respective chromosome (22 in this case), that's strange also.

Cheers,
Paul

p.s.: I use GATK 2.1-12 and specifically try to call position 22: (I narrowed it doen to this position as the offending one)

I can't upload sam or bam files with the reads causing the problem (it's only 14 respectively 49 reads), should I put them somewhere else? Like, the ftp server or so?

Answers