Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

ERROR : BAM file has a read with mismatching number of bases and base qualities

abaanoabaano Member
edited August 2012 in Ask the GATK team

Dear GATK team,

I am trying to understand/resolve this issue with my bam files. I have been been using GATK tools for a while. However, recently I started seeing this error. I understand there are two possible means to silence there errors one being the MalformedReadsFilter, which I learned is on by default. Also there is the -defaultbasequalities=-1 in GATK. So my question is why am I still seeing this error, and why does it blow up GATK. From what I understand both methods deal with the same type of issue. It is very likely that I am missing something so please fell free to enlighten me :) Thank you

It happens with indelrealigner. I have not tested other GATK tools. With GATK v1.5 the same bam file works fine however with v2.1.5 it errors our. the error I get is ##### ERROR MESSAGE: SAM/BAM file SAMFileReader{something.bam} is malformed: BAM file has a read with mismatching number of bases and base qualities. Offender: SOLEXA:1:40:1371:7#1 [1 bases] [0 quals]

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers