Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

HaplotyperCaller optional arguments:

Hello GATK,

I'm using GATK 4.0.6 HaplotypeCaller to call wild bird SNP and InDel sites.

Command
nohup java -jar /opt/GATK-4.0.6/GATK-4.0.6-local.jar HaplotypeCaller -R bird_genome_reference.fa -I input.bam --minimum-mapping-quality 25 -mbq 13 -O VCF_two_type/HC.vcf --output-mode EMIT_VARIANTS_ONLY &

When I check the output in nohup, I notice that there are many optional arguments in the nohup file.
But I didn't see some of them in the ToolDoc of HaplotypeCaller.

Why do not put all the available arguments in the ToolDoc?

I want to set the threshold condition of two short variants caller(bcftools mpileup & HaplotypeCaller) the same as possible and then get the consistent short variants site with SelectVariants to improve my SNP & Indels quality.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin
    Accepted Answer

Hi @tytolin

What are all the arguments you see that are not in the tooldoc?

Regards
    Bhanu

• tytolintytolin Member
    Accepted Answer

@bhanuGandham

I have seen it in the Read Filter, thanks.
    Sorry for neglecting other parts of category

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

@tytolin

no problem. happy to help.

• maricommaricom Member
    Hi,
    I'm using HaplotypeCaller to find variants, however, could you tell me about the --minimum-mapping-quality option?
    If I set this option, what kind of calculation does GATK do??
    I read this page, but I need more detailed information.

Thank you in advance!
  • maricommaricom Member
    Sorry I couldn't paste the link for the page.
    In the page, there is an explanation of the meaning of the option, but I can't tell what kind of reads will be eliminated after I apply this option.
  • bshifawbshifaw Member, Broadie, Moderator admin

@maricom
    This argument is valid if "MappingQualityReadFilter" is specified which Haplotypecaller automatically does:

--maximum-mapping-quality:Integer
                                      Maximum mapping quality to keep (inclusive)  Default value: null. 
    --minimum-mapping-quality:Integer
                                      Minimum mapping quality to keep (inclusive)  Default value: 20. 

Tool doc for MappingQualityReadFilter says:

Keep only reads with mapping qualities within a specified range.
    Note: this filter is not designed to handle the unavailable mapping quality (255). Use MappingQualityAvailableReadFilter to explicitly filter out reads with unavailable quality.