If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!
Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra
Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.
We will be out of the office on October 14, 2019, due to the U.S. holiday. We will return to monitoring the forum on October 15.
Following Best practice, I have ERROR:MATE_NOT_FOUND in all my files
I am running Mutect2 on about 100 pairs of tumor-normal samples of whole exome sequencing. I am using GATK188.8.131.52. The pipeline used the recommended best practice pipeline:
3. SamToFastq, bwa (mem -M -t4),
4. MergeBamAlignment (CREATE_INDEX=true, ADD_MATE_CIGAR=true, CLIP_ADAPTERS=false, CLIP_OVERLAPPING_READS=true, INCLUDE_SECONDARY_ALIGNMENTS=true, MAX_INSERTIONS_OR_DELETIONS=-1, PRIMARY_ALIGNMENT_STRATEGY=MostDistant, ATTRIBUTES_TO_RETAIN=XS )
5. MarkDuplicates (VALIDATION_STRINGENCY SILENT, OPTICAL_DUPLICATE_PIXEL_DISTANCE=2500, CREATE_INDEX=true)
6. BaseRecalibrator (using 100bp-padded interval bed file of the exome design)
8. generate the PON VCF successfully using all normal samples.
9. When I tried to run Mutect2 to call the somatic short variants, all pairs went through the analysis except one pair which failed to pass the same region after several trials. This part of the log after one failed trail:
19:12:18.761 INFO ProgressMeter - chr1:41708411 5.8 5020 858.5
19:12:28.648 INFO PairHMM - Total compute time in PairHMM computeLogLikelihoods() : 262.425723624
19:12:28.649 INFO SmithWatermanAligner - Total compute time in java Smith-Waterman : 13.26 sec
19:12:29.035 INFO Mutect2 - Shutting down engine
[October 10, 2018 7:12:29 PM EDT] org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.mutect.Mutect2 done. Elapsed time: 6.09 minutes.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: readMaxLength must be > 0 but got 0
We I tested the BAM files using ValidateSamFile, I got these results for tumor and normal samples:
Error Type Count
Error Type Count
I used the FixMateInformation tool to fix the files, re-indexed, and re-ran Mutect2 successfully but I tested all BAM files and found them carrying the same error! Why did this happen? is it a bug or did I do something wrong? Why did one pair fail to go through the variant calling step while all other pairs did not? Does this affect the quality of variant calls?