Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Very long import time heavily compounded across a transcriptome in GenomicsDBImport

Hi all,

I'm running GATK4 on a transcriptome, but I'm running into an issue with run time due to the time importing sample vcfs. It isn't a huge dataset (N = 45), but importing these vcfs takes ~10.5 minutes. Doing this across all the individual contigs in a transcriptome quickly becomes functionally impossible due to the wall clock time (back of the envelop calculation = 1 year without parallelization). If it would be possible to start the engine then iterate through a whole series of intervals/contigs without repeatedly importing the samples that would be a huge improvement. It is possible that this is already built in, but I haven't been able to get this to work even with the -L flag, I think because there is no overlap/sensible way to combine contigs.

I'm running this on a linux cluster in a Docker environment. I've already run HaplotypeCaller to produce genomic vcfs. Here is what I am running, with the time issues:

for i in $contigs     # $contigs is a variable with all of the contigs in the transcriptome
do
gatk GenomicsDBImport \
    $(cat files.txt) \ # files.txt is a file with the format "-V /path_to_file/sample1 \ -V /path_to_file/sample2 \ etc
    --genomicsdb-workspace-path $path/my_database/$i \
    --intervals $i \
    --reader-threads 5
done

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Answers