Attention:
The frontline support team will be slow on the forum because we are occupied with the GATK Workshop on March 21st and 22nd 2019. We will be back and more available to answer questions on the forum on March 25th 2019.

Picard LiftoverVcf b37tohg19 - gatk GetPileupSummaries works for b37, error for liftovered hg19

Adam_U0Adam_U0 Member
edited September 2018 in Ask the GATK team

Hello,

I'd like to perform gatk GetPileupSummaries for my .bam file. However I'm using hg19 as reference through all steps of analysis. Hence I decided to make a LiftOverVcf to get .vcf based on hg19 so:

gatk GetPileupSummaries \
-I my_tumor.bam \
-V small_exac_common_3_hg19.vcf \
-O my_tumor.table

To get small_exac_common_3_hg19.vcf I run:

java -Xmx6g -jar picard.jar LiftoverVcf \
     I=small_exac_common_3_b37.vcf \
     O=small_exac_common_3_hg19.vcf \
     CHAIN=b37tohg19.chain \
     REJECT=rejected_variants.vcf \
     R=Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta

I have to mention that I removed 'chr' from chain file, because it cased errors like this https://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/gatk/discussion/11218/picard-liftovervcf-error-when-attempting-to-liftover-to-build-38

Function went fine that I recieved small_exac_common_3_hg19.vcf.

When I run:

-I my_tumor.bam \
    -V small_exac_common_3_hg19.vcf \
    -O my_tumor.table

Then error occured:

htsjdk.tribble.TribbleException$MalformedFeatureFile: Error parsing line at byte position: LineIteratorImpl(SynchronousLineReader)

However when I run whole function with b37 - success.

-I my_tumor.bam \
        -V small_exac_common_3_b37.vcf \
        -O my_tumor.table

In addition to this, I compared both .vcf's - b37 and hg19. They look exactly the same. The only difference is in the dec symbols in numbers; b37 has dots in QUAL column where hg19 has commas.

So my questions are: how to avoid this problem?
Shall I ignore it and use b37 for gatk GetPileupSummaries function?
Is it ok, that both small_exac_common files (b37 and hg19 after lift over) are the same?
As far as I know those references are pretty simillar, there are minor changes; so maybe I didn't catch them?

Many thanks,
Adam

Post edited by Adam_U0 on
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers