Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Can FastaAlternateReferenceMaker put Ns instead of the reference bases where there is no-call ?

Dear GATK team,

I'm using FastaAlternateReferenceMaker to generate a fasta file per sample. To do so, I had to first generate a vcf file per sample and use FastaAlternateReferenceMaker to generate a fasta file. Everything went well except that in any position where the genotype of a given sample was a no-call (./. or ./) it put the reference bases while I would prefer to have Ns instead.

I have looked over a similar post (https://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/gatk/discussion/5778/can-fastaalternatereferencemaker-put-n-instead-the-reference-base-when-data-is-bad). It basically explained that we could use SelectVariants to select only sites with certain criteria and make a vcf that could be fed on FastaAlternateReferenceMaker via -snpmask. However, being no-call or not for a genotype is not a criteria we can use for SelectVariants.

So, how can I tell GATK to only select sites with no-call genotype ?

Answers